Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: How to use Diameter Accounting

From: "Harri Hakala (LMF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 10:52:21 +0200

Hi,

I agree with Jari's proposal.
That solves the original problem, that is, the
need to create a new dummy application before it is possible to use
the Diameter accounting.

Regards........Harri

-----Original Message-----
From: Jari Arkko [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 3. lokakuuta 2001 21:31
To: Pat Calhoun; Glen Zorn
Cc: Harri Hakala (LMF); 
Subject: Re: [AAA-WG]: How to use Diameter Accounting

> > Actually, that's an interesting point. It is possible to just create a
> > Diameter spec that defines new AVPs to be included in the Accounting
> > messages, and then you are done.
> 
> sometimes the solution is so simple it's hard to see. Thanks Glen!

Not so fast! This isn't *just* a problem with the arbitrary rules on
creating new apps. Acct-Application-Id is a mandatory AVP on
accounting messages, and you need to put in a value. So, what
value to put in? Ok, let's assume we loosen the rules on making
new accounting apps, perhaps by introducing a new section
between 2.3.2 and 2.3.3. Anybody can add these and allocate
an application id, and define new AVPs. (New cmds are still
harder to get.) So: the first conclusion is that we do need an acct
app value*. But that's fine.

Finally, the current text in 2.5 dictates that "Relay" app can only be used
by relay nodes. Well... what about "plain accounting" diameter servers
that don't care if they record Foo or Bar service? Shouldn't they be allowed
to advertise "Relay" in Acct-Application-Id as well?

So in conclusion, how about the following:

1. Introduce a new section between 2.3.2 and 2.3.3 that tells
    you how you can make new applications for accounting
2. Allow the allocation of apps ids for these.
3. Modify 2.5 for allowing Relay for Acct-Application-Id also for
    Diameter servers.

Jari
*) Alternative solution: use "Relay", or "Accounting". Not sure
I like these. It would be useful to indicate what service generated
the acct records.