Subject: [AAA-WG]: General question on MIP and AAA interaction

From: Thomas Panagiotis-PTHOMAS1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 19:27:39 -0500

Hi,

As noted in many places, mobility agents (FA,HA) do not have to
interact with the AAA infrastructure every time a mobile is
sending a Registration Request. To my understanding, this implies
that whenever a AAA infrastructure is available and used, the HA
does NOT have the authority to extend the registration lifetime.
In other words,
(i)  either the MN ignores the lifetime field in Registration
     Replies coming directly from the HA, or
(ii) Registration Replies sent directly to the MN MUST have the
     lifetime field set to:
      (Authorization-Lifetime in last received HAR) minus
      (Time elapsed since last HAR was received) minus
      (some delays)

Is that how it's supposed to work or am I way off on this? :)

Thanks,

-Panos

---

From: "Fredrik Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:47:41 +0200

>     Replies coming directly from the HA, or

No, it will not ignore the lifetime field in the Reg Reply

>      (Time elapsed since last HAR was received) minus

The Lifetime field in the registration reply should be set so that 
the Authorization-Lifetime is a multiple of the lifetime in the 
reg-reply. This way the mobile node will be able to do periodic 
tunnel updates without involving AAA. AAA is only involved when 
the Authorization-Lifetime expires.

Hope this clarifies

/Fredrik