Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: How to use Diameter Accounting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 15:31:17 +0300

Hi,

Now that we are clarifying these issues regarding new applications and their
accounting extensions I have one proposal to add. 

Because it is possible that a service only makes use of the Accounting
portion of the Diameter application then the application must clearly
described in the application specification which part contains the
accounting portion. The current text describes in the section 9.3
(Application document requirements) clearly how new accounting AVPs must be
described in new applications but it does say anything how new accounting
command codes (if exist) should be described. One way to enforce that this
is clearly described in the new applications is to modify the section 9.3 in
the following way:

"Each Diameter application (e.g. NASREQ, MobileIP), MUST define their
Service-Specific accounting part in a section entitled "Accounting". Under
the section "Accounting" they MUST define their Service-Specific AVPs that
MUST be present in the Accounting-Request message in a section entitled
"Accounting AVPs" and their Service-Specific command codes if exists in a
section entitled "Accounting Command-Codes". The application MUST assume
that the AVPs described in this document will be present in all Accounting
messages, so only their respective service-specific AVPs need to be defined
in this section."

Best Regards, Jaakko

---

From: "Jari Arkko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 16:01:46 +0300

> is clearly described in the new applications is to modify the section 9.3 in

Agreed.

Jari

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 07:28:37 -0700

re-reading this fix, it requires an accounting command code. I believe
that relaxing the rules on application specifications to allow for accounting
only ones (that don't need to define command codes), is a better approach.

PatC