Subject: [AAA-WG]: [issue] Clarifications on key generation (mobileip-08)

From: "Mark Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 09:14:21 -0400

(Note: This issue relates to questions already answered on mailing list (see
reference) and is raised in [issue] format to track the requested updates to
the drafts.)

Submitter name: Mark Jones
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 2001-10-02
Reference: http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/aaa-wg/msg02204.html
Document: mobileip-08, aaa-key-08
Comment type: 'E'
Priority: '1'
Section: 5.x, 6.0 of mobileip-08, 2 of aaa-key-08
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

1) The text in 5.x and 6.0 refers to the generation of Registration Keys.
The KDC AVP descriptions (sections 6.1 onwards) refer only to session keys.
These are one and the same so the naming should be consistent.

2) Section 5.3 entitled 'Distributing the Foreign-Home Registration Key'
does not give any details on how the key is derived.

3) The aaa-key-08 draft does not explicitly state that key material must be
distinct for each of the requested keys leaving the implementor the option
of using the same key material for deriving Mobile-Home, Mobile-Foreign and
Home-Foreign session key.

Requested change:

1) In section 5.x and 6.0, replace the term Registration Key(s) with
'Session Key(s)' for consistency.

2) Add the following text to the end of the first paragraph in section 5.3:
"The procedure for generation of key material and derivation of this session
key is identical to that for the Mobile-Home and Mobile-Foreign session keys
as specified in [15]."

3) In aaa-keys, modify the text in step 5 of section 2 (Scope of Protocol)
to read:

    5. At the time the information within the MN-AAA Authentication
       extension is verified by the AAA server, the AAA server also
       generates distinct Key Material for each of the keys requested
       by the mobile node, and causes insertion of the Key Material
       fields along with the Registration Reply.

Regards,
       Mark