Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue 181: Digital encryption + signature in CMS-Sec

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 08:10:26 -0700

All,

Is the current text in section 6.3 not sufficient to handle this case?
Essentially, what it is stating is that it is OK to sign AVPs that
weren't intended to be signed when such a case arises.

PatC

---

From: Miguel Ángel Monjas Llorente <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 11:40:23 +0200

> weren't intended to be signed when such a case arises.

Hi Pat, sorry for the latency...

it's OK for me. What I was suggesting is a natural consequence of text
in section 6.3. No sense to explain everything ad infinitum :-))

Regards

  // M.A.

-- 
  Miguel Angel Monjas Llorente
  Systems Engineer, GSM/UMTS Systems Management
  Ericsson España, S.A. (EEM) UMTS/GSM Databases
  Tel: +34 91 3393605                 Mob: +34 629 570196
  <mailto:[email-masked]>  Fax: +34 91 3392538
  Ombú 3, 10th. 28045 Madrid - SPAIN -

---

From: "Susana Sargento" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 10:43:26 +0100

Hi,
I would like some help on DIAMETER.

In the Internet Draft: AAA Requirements for IP Telephony/Multimedia, it is
explained how SIP interacts with the AAA (DIAMETER). In the Register phase
how is the AAA message from the proxy server to the DIAMETER? Is the SIP
message included as an AVP? In the INVITE phase, the SIP server sends an
authorization request to the DIAMETER which may include policy decisions. Is
there any document where I can find more detail about this? Because it is
said in general, but it is not specified exactly how it is done.
Is there any implementation of DIAMETER with SIP and QoS policy
authentication?

Also in this draft it is said that there are some policy functions that
should be included in DIAMETER, like performing authentication taking into
account the time of day, etc. Is there any document that specifies the
messages that are sent to and from the DIAMETER server which include those
policy decisions? Also, how to authenticate with DIAMETER taking into
account the bandwidth required for the session as well as the QoS
requirements?

Thanks for your attention,
Susana

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 04:18:21 -0700

> To: <[email-masked]>
> In the Internet Draft: AAA Requirements for IP Telephony/Multimedia

isn't this a sip wg document?  have you asked that wg?  what's that wg say?

randy

---

From: "Susana Sargento" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 12:49:56 +0100

It is a draft made by Pat Calhoun, the Diameter person.
It is a sip-aaa draft.
I was expecting that the aaa wg people could tell me if what is said in the
draft is possible to be done solely with Diameter.
Thanks,
Susana

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 07:35:17 -0700 (PDT)

The draft you refer to, draft-calhoun-sip-aaa-reqs-02.txt, is an
individual submission, and as such has not been adopted by any IETF
working group. It therefore has no IETF status, and it is not clear
whether the draft in question represents the consensus of any of the
SIP-related working groups. In general, requirements documents are
produced in the relevant area WG, rather than in the AAA WG, so this WG
has no say in the eventual disposition of this draft.

While it is conceivable that the approach outlined in the draft will be
adopted, if and when the subject becomes a WG charter item, it is also
conceivable that upon consideration, the relevant WG will decide to do
something completely different. 

Since the approach to SIP/AAA interaction has not yet been decided,
and since the AAA WG is currently focused on completing Diameter
applications relating to network access, the AAA WG does not have any
items relating to SIP in its charter. In general, the AAA WG is the
consumer of requirements documents that have garnered consensus within
the area WGs, but does not produce them.

> It is a draft made by Pat Calhoun, the "Diameter person".
> It is a sip-aaa draft.