Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue 224: Handling errors in the TCP stream

From: David Frascone <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 22:51:31 -0500

Submitter name: David Frascone
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 25-Oct-01 
Reference:  
Document: Base
Comment type: Technical 
Priority: 1
Section: 
Rationale/Explanation of issue: 

Since TCP is stream oriented, an error in the stream is completely
un-recoverable.  Therefore, when an error is detected in the stream, the
connection must be closed.

Errors can be detected by reserved bits being set, avp lengths being
less than the size of an AVP header, or greater than the diameter message
length.

There was no input on whether or not to first send a response.  Since
an error can occur in a request or in an answer, I think closing the
connection without sending a response is acceptable.

---

From: Steve Rich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:26:26 -0400

I agree with this.

sjr