Subject: Re: [AAA-WG]: Section 8.1

From: Joe Lau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 14:18:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Pat,

> > I agree with Michael that _all_ diameter have to keep state.
> > Another good example would be the following statement on section 1.2.
> > 
> >    During the creation of the HAR, the AAAH MUST use a different session
> >    identifier than the one used in the AMR/AMA (see figure 2). Of
> >    course, the AAAH MUST use the _same_ session identifier for _all_ HARs
> >    initiated on behalf of a given mobile node's session. 
> > 
> > This will require the AAAH server to be stateful.  
> > 
> > Anyone disagree on this?
> 
> I do. Keeping transaction state is sufficient to handle this.

I need help to understand two things: 

1) Why must the AAAH use the _same_ session id for _all_ HARs initiated on 
   behalf of a given MN's session?

2) Can you give an example where an AAAh _must_ keep _sesssion_ state?

Regards,

Joe Lau

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 14:41:32 -0700

>    behalf of a given MN's session?

it doesn't. Since we knew that mobiles could move from one FA to another, we could
never guarantee that the same AAAh would be hit each time. Therefore, since this
is not a constant, there is no guarantee that the HA would always receive the same
session id in the HAR.

For that reason, we allow different session ids in the HAR, and the HA must do
some checking.

> 2) Can you give an example where an AAAh _must_ keep _sesssion_ state?

sure. limiting the number of active sessions a user has.

PatC