Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue 363: IANA Considerations Issues

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 18:50:14 -0700 (PDT)

Issue 363: IANA Considerations Issues
Submitter: Bernard Aboba
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: September 9, 2002
Reference:
Document: BASE-12
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section: 11
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

The IANA considerations section lacks some boilerplate. Also, as I recall,
the agreement with the IESG was that standard AVP codes would be allocated
via "Expert Review with Specification Required", and I would also
recommend this for non-vendor specific application IDs.

Change Section 11 to the following:

"This section provides guidance to the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
(IANA) regarding registration of values related to the Diameter protocol,
in accordance with BCP 26 [IANA].

The following policies are used here with the meanings defined in BCP 26:
"Private Use", "First Come First Served", "Expert Review",
"Specification Required", IETF Consensus", "Standards Action".

This section explains the criteria to be used by the IANA for assignment
of numbers within namespaces defined within this document.

Diameter is not intended as a general purpose protocol, and allocations
SHOULD NOT be made for purposes unrelated to authentication, authorization
or accounting. For registration requests where a Designated Expert should
be consulted, the responsible IESG area director should appoint the
Designated Expert.

For registration requests requiring Expert Review, the AAA mailing list
should be consulted."

Section 11.1.1 AVP Code

Change the last sentence of the first paragraph to:

"AVP Codes 0-254 are managed separtely as RADIUS Attribute Types
[RADTYPE], while the remaining namespace is available for assignmetn via
Expert Review with Specification Required [IANA]."

Section 11.2.1, second to last paragraph, last sentence.

Change to: "The range of values will have a limited lifetime, and will
eventually be reallocated within a range available for standardization."

Change "guarentee" to "guarantee"

Section 11.3 Application Identifiers

Second paragraph, add the following sentence:

"Assignment of standards-track application IDs are by Expert Review with
Specification Required [IANA]."

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:40:05 +0300

Hi Bernard,

I agree with your suggestions here.  If anyone has specific issues
with the text Bernard proposes, then please suggest what, in your
opinion, should be added.

John

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext Bernard Aboba [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 11 September, 2002 04:50
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue 363: IANA Considerations Issues
> 
>

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:04:24 +0300

Hi Bernard,

I think all of this is good text.

John