Subject: [AAA-WG]: Question on Diameter Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) App lication

From: Xin Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:41:56 +0100

Dear all,

The draft (Diameter Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) Application)
only defines two messages Diameter-EAP-Request (DER) Command and
Diameter-EAP-Answer (DEA) Command between the access device and the Diameter
home server. 

I think that in the case that the EAP client is powered off or out of radio
coverage (wireless environment), then we also need a Diameter message sent
from the access device to the Diameter home server to terminate this
diameter session. The indication of those events can be provided by link
layer technologies. 

If so, is this message specified by this draft or from the base protocol. I
have taken a look at the base protocol, there are two which could be used:

Disconnect-Peer-Request (sent from access device to Diameter home server)
Or
Session-Termination-Request (sent from access device to Diameter home
server), and I think the latter one is the right one to send. 

Regards

Xin Chen
Mobile Network Architecture
Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe LTD
Tel: +44 (0) 2086064453
Mobile: +44 (0)7775741020

-----Original Message-----
From: Jari Arkko (LMF) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 12 September 2002 07:52
To: 'Xin Chen'; [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: Question on EAP

This does not seem to be an EAP related function as such.
If the given link layer technology gives you an indication of "power off" in
some manner, then the access network or the authenticator can send a RADIUS
accounting stop or similar message to the home network. So, I don't think
EAP is involved. Both RADIUS accounting and DIAMETER should be able to
support such notifications in the AAA space. I'm not sure how well WLAN
allows you to detect the power-off of a terminal and distinguish it from
temporary radio disturbances.

Jari
-----Original Message-----
From: Xin Chen [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 10. syyskuuta 2002 12:33
To: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
Subject: Question on EAP

Dear all,

Sorry for those who get this twice. I am a starter of PPP and related
extentions. I have a question based on the case below,

An authenticator in a WLAN link uses EAP to authenticate terminals. The
authenticator uses AAA (radius or Diameter) to communicate with
authentication server. The authentication server is not only providing
authentication service but registration services. Once the authentication is
successful, the terminal will be considered registered with the network, and
services can be provided.

And the registration service of the authentication server needs to know the
user's status in the network (registered or not). Therefore, it relys on
some sort of information reported by the authenticator which is close to the
terminals

When the terminal powers off, we want the authenticator to detect this and
report to the authenitcation server that user is not registered anymore
(becuase user has turned off its terminal).

The question is does the current WLAN technologies and EAP protocol support
this operation. 

Regards

Xin Chen
Mobile Network Architecture
Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe LTD
Tel: +44 (0) 2086064453
Mobile: +44 (0)7775741020