Subject: [AAA-WG]: NASREQ Query

From: "Hepworth, Eleanor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 15:53:33 +0100

Hi,

I have a quick query regarding the Diameter NASREQ I-D.  The draft contains the following statement in the AA-Request description (section 3.1.1 of version 09):

    It is possible for a single session to be authorized first, then
    followed by an authentication request. However, the inverse SHOULD
    NOT be permitted.

I'm a little confused about this as usually I would expect authentication to be followed by an optional authorization step.  Should this text be the other way round (or have I misunderstood something)?

Thanks

Ele

========================================================================================
Permission is hereby granted to pass the contents of this communication to third parties and any restrictions regarding confidentiality do not apply.

---

From: David Mitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:25:06 -0400

That pair of statements has confounded several of us.  I would like to, at 
least, remove it.
I'd even further like to replace it with something clearer, but I cannot 
understand the requirement.

We have Authorization then Authentication sequences with Call directing NASes.
We have Authentication/Authorization sequences otherwise.
The protocol only has one type of message anyways, so it's all context 
dependent...

Can anyone defend the original requirement for this statement??

Dave.

At 9/8/2002 03:53 PM +0100, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a quick query regarding the Diameter NASREQ I-D.  The draft 
>contains the following statement in the AA-Request description (section 
>3.1.1 of version 09):
>
>I'm a little confused about this as usually I would expect authentication 
>to be followed by an optional authorization step.  Should this text be the 
>other way round (or have I misunderstood something)?
>
>Thanks
>
>Ele

---

From: "Pat R. Calhoun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:26:39 -0700

The sentence is inversed. The text should state that authorization
occurs after authentication.

PatC

-----Original Message-----
From: David Mitton [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 8:25 AM
To: Hepworth, Eleanor
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [AAA-WG]: NASREQ Query

That pair of statements has confounded several of us.  I would like to,
at 
least, remove it.
I'd even further like to replace it with something clearer, but I cannot

We have Authorization then Authentication sequences with Call directing
NASes. We have Authentication/Authorization sequences otherwise. The
protocol only has one type of message anyways, so it's all context 
dependent...

Dave.