Subject: [Agentx] Re: AgentX availability

From: Mark Ellison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:15:49 -0800

Hi T,

T.Mangold wrote:
> Hi !
> I'm currently writing an subagent for an application MIB and need a
> way to communicate with a "native agent" already present on the target
> systems.
> I developed an extension DLL on Windows NT.
> Now I focus on unix platform Linux, HPUX, Solaris, AIX. Apperently,
> the future of the master/subagent architecture is AgentX, isn't it ?

There have been a number of extensible agent architectures that preceded 
AgentX - DPI (1.0 and 2.0), SMUX, eSNMP, and EMANATE are examples. 
AgentX was designed as a suitable replacement for these predecessors.

> On Linux, I found net-snmp which implements AgentX, but I have
> difficulties to find out what happens on other unix.
> HPUX seems to use SNMP Research's EMANATE agent, but it is not clear
> if it includes the support of AgentX in the OEM version installed on
> HPUX 11.

I think AgentX support under EMANATE is an add-on agent adapter.  Best 
information would come from HP re HPUX11 or SRI re their add-on.  As Rob 
points out, The native SNMP agent shipped with HP/Compaq's Tru64 UNIX 
and VMS support AgentX.  There is a list of known AgentX implementations 
on the AgentX web page.  Additions and changes to to the implementation 
list can be requested via the site webmaster.

> 
> So, does anyone know if the AgentX protocol is natively available on
> HPUX, Solaris or AIX ? I do not want to replace the native agent
> supplied by these unix, but just find a way of extending it --
> preferably the same on all systems !

Yes, this is the goal of AgentX.  There is a web page for AgentX at 
http://www.scguild.com/agentx/.  You might also want to check in on the 
AgentX email list at [email-masked]  (subscribe at [email-masked])

> Thanks a lot,
> Thibault

Regards,

Mark

---

From: Mark Ellison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:15:49 -0800

Hi T,

Regards,

Mark

---

From: Mark Ellison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:15:06 -0800

Hi Rob,

 > I'd also love to hear other opinions or options re: the use, current
 > state and future of AgentX.

AgentX would benefit from a few things.  I can think of:

(1) A standard API for manipulating, sending and receiving messages. 
This would allow subagents to link to native shared libraries 
implementing the AgentX messaging mechanisms.

(2) A standard isAccessAllowed() abstract service.  This would allow 
subagents to check the SNMPv3 credentials for the principal of the 
request while processing it.  Useful applications appear in DISMAN and 
RMON MIBs.

(3) A standard means to encrypt AgentX payloads, and a means to 
authenticate the subagent whenever a subagent connection is established. 
  This would extend security to subagents using TCP and not co-resident 
with their master.

I am certain there are more items that can be added to this list and 
seek to encourage ideas and participation from interested parties.

Regards,

Mark

---

From: Mark Ellison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:15:06 -0800

Hi Rob,

Regards,

Mark