Subject: Re: [Agentx] Questions on requirements

From: "Bob Natale" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:29:12 +0000

Hi Magnus,
I'd say your approach is reasonable -- you can assume that the RFC implicitly prefaces each of the cited statements with something like "For sub-agents that implement <corresponding capabilities>, a conforming sub-agent MUST support <...>".
Cheers,
BobN

-----Original Message-----
From: Magnus Fromreide [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 02:48 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Agentx] Questions on requirements

In 7.2.3 it is stated that a conforming subagent MUST support -Get,
-GetNext and -GetBulk.

In 7.2.4 it is stated that a conforming subagent MUST support -TestSet,
-CommitSet, -UndoSet and -CleanupSet.

I think thoose requirements are excessive.

Consider a subagent that only implements read-only variables.
In that case there should be no need to implement neither of -CommitSet,
nor -UndoSet since the -TestSet response will make sure that there will
be no -CommitSet and thus no -UndoSet for the transaction.

Consider a subagent that implements no variables.
In that case there should be no need for neither of -Get, -GetNext,
-GetBulk, -TestSet, -CommitSet, -UndoSet nor -CleanupSet since the
absence of any -RegisterPDUs should make certain that no requests for
variables are sent to the subagent.

/MF