Subject: [alto] IETF74 - Current status and agenda requests

From: Enrico Marocco <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:31:02 +0100

Folks,

As you can see on the DRAFT agenda for the SF meeting, the ALTO working
group is going to meet in a 2-hour session on Thu March 26 (expect the
day to change!). Since the first deadlines are approaching fast, the
chairs would like to make the best use of meeting time to make progress
toward meeting them. Such deadlines concern the following documents:

+ problem statement: this is the milestone with higher priority (WGLC is
  supposed to start in April 09). The WG has not adopted a draft yet,
  but draft-marocco-alto-problem-statement is the strong candidate which
  has accompanied the charter in the WG creation process and which Eric
  and Jan have volunteered to take over from the original authors,
  integrating the comments received during the previous meetings and
  getting it into a much better shape. If you haven't read the latest
  version yet, please do so before the meeting, comment and help improve
  it further; or, if you really think you can't live with it, the
  meeting in SF will be probably your last chance to present an
  alternative;

+ requirements: draft-kiesel-alto-reqs was discussed during the last two
  meetings, but it seems there is still no fundamental agreement in the
  WG about the approach the requirements document should adopt. The
  situation has now been stale since Minneapolis: if you want to
  contribute to this work and have an opinion, this is the very right
  time to let the group hear it;

+ ALTO protocol: the time constraints are a bit more relaxed than for
  other documents, but here is where all the fun is! Some proposals have
  already been presented in Minneapolis and we plan to assign time to
  updates and to the more to come. People willing to contribute may do
  so reviewing and commenting on the various proposals, helping with the
  editing of existing documents (feel free to contact the authors, ask
  the chairs if unsure), or submitting their own drafts. (Advice from
  very personal experience: in case you decide to submit your
  contribution, look at the proposals already on the table and focus
  your effort on the pieces of a possible solution you are most
  interested in, explaining very well all the whys and the hows, rather
  than trying to specify THE protocol.)

Vijay, Jon and I are supposed to submit the preliminary agenda by March
11; if you want a slot, please send us a request by then.

-- 
Ciao,
Enrico