Subject: TLS server identity verification

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 08:37:06 +0100

Folks,
The issue of a document describing recommended text/template for server 
identity verification procedure came up again while talking about 
advancing EPP.

As an AD, I would really like for draft-hodges-server-ident-check to be 
published as an RFC. And I know that Chris was keen on this as well.
Jeff/Bob, do you have any cycles to work on this?

Regards,
Alexey
-- 
IETF Application Area Director, <http://www.ietf.org/IESGmems.html>
Internet Messaging Team Lead, <http://www.isode.com>
JID: same as my email address

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 08:39:40 -0500

> Jeff/Bob, do you have any cycles to work on this?

In the SIP WG, we just requested publication for a draft that
details mutual TLS authentication for SIP servers and clients
(please see http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sip-domain-certs-03).

This is somewhat related to what Hodges et al. is attempting
to do for generic servers (as opposed to SIP servers specifically.)
That said, I will be more than happy to review or help on
draft-hodges-... as it moves forward.

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60566 (USA)
Email: vkg@{alcatel-lucent.com,bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Web:   http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 07:50:46 -0600

On 4/15/09 1:37 AM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> published as an RFC. 

+1. This would be quite helpful so that different application protocols
can depend on a common base (with appropriate modifications for the
particular application), or at least have some guidelines they can use
to formulate identity verification text (a la RFC 3552).

BTW in XMPP we have text about this in RFC 3920 and 3920bis:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-saintandre-rfc3920bis-09#section-15.2

> And I know that Chris was keen on this as well.

I'd be happy to take a look. Perhaps one helpful task would be to
compare the text in draft-hodges-server-ident-check against similar text
in documents like draft-saintandre-rfc3921bis and
draft-ietf-sip-domain-certs.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Marcos Sanz/Denic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:39:09 +0200

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-saintandre-rfc3920bis-09#section-15.2

As I just mailed to the authors, there is also text in RFC 3983 (Section 
6.2).
FWIW I support the draft-hodges-server-ident-check initiative.

Best,
Marcos