Subject: [apps-discuss] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-iab-dns-applications-01.txt

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:12:16 -0600

Folks, this is probably of interest here...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D Action:draft-iab-dns-applications-01.txt
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:45:01 -0700
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Architecture Board Working
Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Architectural Considerations on Application Features
in the DNS
	Author(s)       : O. Kolkman, et al.
	Filename        : draft-iab-dns-applications-01.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2011-03-14

While the principal purpose of the Domain Name System (DNS) is to
translate Internet domain names to IP addresses, over time a number
of Internet applications have integrated supplemental features into
the DNS to support their operations.  Many of these features assist
in locating the appropriate service in a domain, or in transforming
intermediary identifiers into names that the DNS can process.
Proposals to piggyback more sophisticated application behavior on top
of the DNS, however, have raised questions about the propriety of
instantiating some features in that way, especially those with
security sensitivities.  This document explores the architectural
consequences of installing application features in the DNS, and
provides guidance for future work in this area.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-dns-applications-01.txt