Subject: [apps-discuss] Fwd: VDI discussion mtg notes, pls review. thanks.

From: Bhumip Khasnabish <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 23:20:38 -0400

Below pls find the notes from the last two VDI discussion conf calls.
Thanks.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
*10 AM ET, Friday, 06 May, 2011.*

Attendees: Viswas, YingZhe, Paul, Gene, Spencer, Tom, Liang, and Bhumip

Bhumip opened the mtg. by mentioning that in future, we’ll use the
[email-masked],  for discussing VDI works/drafts/progress, so
everyone should register into this list (if interested in updates on VDI).
Similarly, we plan to use [email-masked] for discussion and distribution of
Datacenter Operations and Management (DCOPS) related drafts and works, so
PLEASE register to [email-masked] by sending an email to
[email-masked] if you have not done so already.

Gene mentioned that he is looking for inputs related to VDI to update the
CloudLog draft (http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-cloud-log-01.txt) and that
his new email address is [email-masked] (or [email-masked]).
Paul wants to see a real need (use cases) for API/interop between opensoure
VDC and other options in mixed vendors environment via comments from the
attendees and participants of the mtgs.

Tom may contribute on use cases and testability (related to
interoperability) for VDI.

Spencer was requested to bring in use cases and the requirements of
interoperability for various scenarios.

Bhumip suggested that API/interop may be required for (a) seamless session
transfer, (b) support of private and business (Enterprise) profiles in the
same device, (c) Effortless customization of services, and (d) Seamless
add/move/upgrade/change management of VDC and services.

Liang reviewed a multi-layer (Applications, Virtual channel, Session
control, Transport) model for VDI protocol stack, and plan to work on a
draft describing the details.

Bhumip polled all of the announced attendees for closing comments and
suggestions. Hearing none, the mtg was adjourned with a wish for everyone to
have a great weekend.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*10 AM ET, Friday, 22 April, 2011.
*
Attendees: Ning, Suren, Mr. Shima, Carl, Marco, Liang, Joe Lin, and Bhumip

Bhumip opened the mtg. by mentioning that in future, we’ll use the
[email-masked],  for discussing VDI works/drafts/progress, so
everyone should register into this list (if interested in updates on VDI).
Similarly, we plan to use [email-masked] for discussion and distribution of
Datacenter Operations and Management (DCOPS) related drafts and works, so
PLEASE register to [email-masked] by sending an email to
[email-masked] if you have not done so already.

Ning discussed that VDI may be useful for shared applications over a common
system, and that the current focus of VDI may be only consumer oriented
services.
Marco suggested VDI use cases currently exist for Enterprise, Residential
(consumer) and machine-to-machine services.  We need to develop drafts
summarizing these use cases.

Bhumip described that we need to work on architecture and functional
requirements for VDI first and these can be used for developing network and
protocol requirements, and API development.

Laing suggested that we need to scope the VDI works first and then develop
basic and enhanced requirements. Liang will present his thoughts on how
these can be achieved during the next conf call.

Suren mentioned that he is creating VDI security requirements draft based on
the cloud security framework (CSF) that he has been working on since last
year. He plans to review that draft in a future conf call.

Bhumip polled all of the announced attendees for closing comments and
suggestions. Hearing none, the mtg was adjourned with a wish for everyone to
have a great weekend.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++