Subject: [apps-discuss] App-ADs chatroom

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 15:36:06 -0600

Folks, we've created a chatroom where your area directors can be found
when they're online:

xmpp:[email-masked]

This is the real-time equivalent of the existing email alias:

mailto:[email-masked]

Feel free to stop by if you have questions or comments!

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 18:31:44 -0400

> xmpp:[email-masked]

I just stopped in to say hey and to bookmark the room, and PSA was
very welcoming.  We need to figure out a way to serve tea over xmpp.

Barry

---

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 16:54:58 -0700 (PDT)

> very welcoming.  We need to figure out a way to serve tea over xmpp.

"There's a MIME type for that."

Oh wait, there isn't.  I'll start working on a draught for single malt. 
I'm more of a subject matter expert on that vs. lapsang souchong.

--lyndon

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 May 2011 00:27:41 -0000

>I'm more of a subject matter expert on that vs. lapsang souchong.

Wouldn't that be multipart/blended ?

R's,
John

---

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 17:36:20 -0700 (PDT)

> Wouldn't that be multipart/blended ?

Not in my lifetime.

---

From: Nico Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 00:37:02 -0500

My phone only displayed part of the subject line (due to its length) in the
mailbox index, cropping off the last two letters.  For a second I thought
the rest might be "ulette"...  Heh.

Nico
--

---

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 10:02:17 +0100

Do I need to be "authorized" to join in?  My client (MacOS/Adium) seems to think 
so, but maybe I'm just doing it wrong.  So far I've only used XMPP for 
person-to-person chat - is a chatroom significantly different to use?

#g
--

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> apps-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/apps-discuss

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 16:28:50 +0200

On 11.05.2011 23:36, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> ...

Interesting enough, Thunderbird auto-links that as email address...

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 08:42:34 -0600

> Interesting enough, Thunderbird auto-links that as email address...

Well, there are only two URI schemes, you know: http and mailto...

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 16:52:26 +0200

> Well, there are only two URI schemes, you know: http and mailto...

...funny enough it transforms it into a mailto:.

-> <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=656617>

Best regards, Julian

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 12:07:09 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Graham Klyne
> Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:02 AM
> To: Peter Saint-Andre
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] App-ADs chatroom
> 

Ditto for me just now with Pidgin.

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 13:15:14 -0600

> Ditto for me just now with Pidgin.

The room is not set to be members-only or password-protected (although
those are possibilities in XMPP), so anyone can join.

Also, conversations in the room are not logged. This enables Pete and me
to hold off-the-record chats with folks who stop by, if needed.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 May 2011 01:02:37 -0000

>Ditto for me just now with Pidgin.

I just tried it with Pidgin and it worked fine, no password needed.

R's,
John

---

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 09:46:00 +0100

> Ditto for me just now with Pidgin.

Ah, could be a client issue, then, as I believe adium is derived from pidgin.

#g
--

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 10:02:37 +0100

> Ah, could be a client issue, then, as I believe adium is derived  

Both use libpurple, if I recall.

Could also be that you've typoed the room, that would also cause an  
error - if you can list the rooms on jabber.ietf.org, try selecting  
it there.

Otherwise the room name is "app-ads" and the service is  
"jabber.ietf.org", or, if there's only one box for the room address,  
"[email-masked]".

Dave.
-- 
Dave Cridland - mailto:[email-masked] - xmpp:[email-masked]
  - acap://acap.dave.cridland.net/byowner/user/dwd/bookmarks/
  - http://dave.cridland.net/
Infotrope Polymer - ACAP, IMAP, ESMTP, and Lemonade

---

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 10:22:33 +0100

Solved!  Turns out to be PEBCAK:  I was trying to connect by adding the chat 
room address to my contact list.

What I needed to do instead was to first "Join Group Chat...", then add group 
chat bookmark to contact list.  That's with Adium.  I don't know if Pidgin is 
similar.

#g
--

Dave Cridland wrote:
> error - if you can list the rooms on jabber.ietf.org, try selecting it 
> there.
>

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 14:01:28 +0200

I'm going to hazard a guess that somehow when you and Pete aren't there,
nobody else is let in.  I'm still getting the error and I'm getting it
with both iChat and adium.

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 06:07:06 -0600

On 5/13/11 6:01 AM, Eliot Lear wrote:
> nobody else is let in. 

That would be a novel "feature" for an XMPP groupchat service.

> I'm still getting the error and I'm getting it

I'll test it over the weekend from various accounts of mine.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 14:42:03 +0100

> I'm going to hazard a guess that somehow when you and Pete aren't  

The implementation used doesn't have that feature as far as I'm  
aware. Nor does mine, and I'm not aware of any implementation having  
that feature.

> with both iChat and adium.

It's unlikely to be an issue with the client.

Also, it is not always obvious whether an error is due to the  
chatroom service refusing entry, or your server being unable to reach  
the chatroom service.

Finally, at least one person has tried to simply add the chatroom to  
the roster - XEP-0045 doesn't work that way, you need to use a "Join  
Chatroom" feature or similar.

Dave.

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 09:49:11 -0500

A little netiquette thing which maybe isn't obvious:

I've seen a few folks "hanging out" in the app-ads room. This might make 
it a bit uncomfortable for someone who might want to stop by and ask a 
question of the ADs without having others listen in. (No high security 
here; someone can always pop in at the precise moment you say, "Gee, 
Herbert is a jerk", but at least if you see nobody else in the room, you 
might be able to speak a bit more freely.)

If you'd like to "hang out", xmpp:[email-masked] and 
xmpp:[email-masked] are always around for you. Use app-ads for 
just stopping in. (And don't leave your empty beer bottles on the table. 
Recycle please.)

pr

-- 
Pete Resnick<http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 11:11:05 -0400

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 09:42, Dave Cridland <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Also, it is not always obvious whether an error is due to the chatroom
> service refusing entry, or your server being unable to reach the chatroom
> service.

works for me, Adium 1.4.2b1

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 17:19:37 +0200

> works for me, Adium 1.4.2b1

Pilot error.  Nevermind.