Subject: [apps-discuss] AAAA and other creatures (was: Updating the status of SPF)

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 01:52:28 +0200

On 11 August 2011 23:41, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

> This is the first time I've heard someone lament that old RFC974
> provision.  I'll have to ask you to elaborate someday.

During the work on RFC 5321 folks suggested to limit the A fallback
to IPv4, and not use an AAAA fallback for IPv6.

Anything potentially in conflict with the plan to get new STDs for
SMTP and the message format did not make it into 5321/2, and I was
rather surprised that 5321/2 are nevertheless no STDs.

> I'm viewing this more and more as something we should handle the same
> as a PS-DS promotion; do an interoperability report (in this case,
> about "the experiment"), remove unused stuff, generally tidy up,
> resolve errata, and allow nothing else.

> That SPF used TXT the way it did may be unfortunate, but as you said,
> we're not going to change it.  We should document the discussion and
> the results of years of deployment, hold our noses and live with it.
> I'd also be fine with including verbose admonitions to future protocol
> designers NOT to use this as an example of possible TXT use in future
> protocols.

Let the WG at least adopt your RFC 5451 and deprecate "Received-SPF".
IIRC there were SPF Council resolutions supporting the I-Ds now known
as RFC 5451.  Disclaimer, if there is anything wrong with that idea I
missed it.

-Frank

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 20:50:26 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Frank Ellermann [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:52 PM
> To: Murray S. Kucherawy
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: AAAA and other creatures (was: Updating the status of SPF)
> 

If there's an interoperability report produced that shows that the industry in general has dropped Received-SPF in favor of Authentication-Results, then I can't imagine this change would meet with much resistance.

-MSK