Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] draft-kucherawy-greylisting-bcp into APPSAWG?

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 18:20:31 -0800

At 5:56 PM -0800 11/13/11, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

>   As discussed in the APPSAWG meeting just now, I'd like to see if 
> there's interest in adopting this into APPSAWG for processing. 
> There wasn't any resistance, but a few people provided the 
> following useful input towards its development:
>
>   -          Should it be BCP or Informational?

I'd say it depends on how prescriptive versus informative the text 
ends up.  I think it would be fine as Informational, and can still 
point out that some means of implementing greylisting can mitigate or 
worsen the ill effects (for example, some implementations greylist 
based on a tuple of [IP, MAIL FROM, RECPT TO], while others use only 
the IP address; the former method aggravates the delay issue, to no 
real benefit, since any given client side will or won't retry, 
regardless of the MAIL FROM and RCPT TO).

>   -          It should discuss how not to do greylisting as well as 
> how to do it
>   -          Some collaboration with the ASRG is suggested in terms 
> of collecting data about which approaches work best, etc.
>
>   And of course the main question is: Is this appropriate for APPSAWG?

Seems fine to me.

--
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
#Random Tag
-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
Democracy is a government where you can say what you think even if you
don't think.                                       --Winston Churchill