Subject: [apps-discuss] Addition of Available Space to Host-Resources-MIB

From: Sheppy Reno <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 12:28:49 -0400

After working with SNMP for quite a while we’ve repeatedly run into issues
where monitoring software is unable to accurately determine the utilization
of volumes on some Linux partitions due to regular processes being unable
to access the reserved file space.  I believe that the best way to correct
this issue is to include an additional data point in the Host Resources MIB
(RFC2790) that will return available space.  This should have no negative
impact on systems that do not utilization reserved space, but will allow
for a much more accurate picture of the space that is truly available on
those partitions using reserved space.

I’ve been reading through the IETF site a bit, but I’m still not sure as to
the best process to get this implemented.  I was hoping someone on here
could give me some tips on proceeding with this.  From what I can see, I
just need to update RFC2790 with the below information and resubmit.

I’d also like to apologize in advance if this is the wrong mailing list,
but all those dealing specifically with SNMP don’t seem to be active
anymore.

RFC 2790

Add:

hrStorageAvail OBJECT-TYPE

                SYNTAX                Integer32 (0..2147483647)

                MAX-ACCESS     read-only

                STATUS                current

                DESCRIPTION

                                “The amount of the storage represented by
this entry

                                that is available to non-superusers, in
units of

                                hrStorageAllocationUnits.”

                ::= { hrStorageEntry 8 }

Thanks,

Sheppy Reno

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 19:48:43 -0400

> of volumes on some Linux partitions due to regular processes being unable to
> access the reserved file space.  I believe that the best way to correct this
> issue is to include an additional data point in the Host Resources MIB
> impact on systems that do not utilization reserved space, but will allow for
> a much more accurate picture of the space that is truly available on those
> partitions using reserved space.

Hi, Sheppy, and welcome to IETF land.  I suggest that the Operations
and Management Area Working Group (opsawg) is more likely the right
place to take SNMP issues:
     General Discussion: [email-masked]
     To Subscribe:       https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg
     Archive:            http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/opsawg

Barry, Applications AD

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 10:54:11 +0200

Barry's suggestion is correct. Some of the people dealing with SNMP are
still active in that space and OPSAWG is the place to find them. Adding
new objects to an existing MIB module can be done only by updating that
MIB module, but I am anticipating the advice that will be given there.

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:apps-discuss-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of Barry Leiba
> Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:49 AM
> To: Sheppy Reno
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Addition of Available Space to Host-
> Resources-MIB
> 
> > After working with SNMP for quite a while we've repeatedly run into
> > issues where monitoring software is unable to accurately determine
the
> > utilization of volumes on some Linux partitions due to regular
> > processes being unable to access the reserved file space.  I believe
> > that the best way to correct this issue is to include an additional
> > data point in the Host Resources MIB
> > (RFC2790) that will return available space.  This should have no
> > negative impact on systems that do not utilization reserved space,
but
> > will allow for a much more accurate picture of the space that is
truly
> > available on those partitions using reserved space.
> 
and
> Management Area Working Group (opsawg) is more likely the right place
to
> take SNMP issues:
> _______________________________________________
> apps-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/apps-discuss