Subject: [apps-discuss] Message NomCom: Re APP AD Position

From: Matthew Lepinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:36:32 -0400

The IETF Nominations Committee (NomCom) considers one of the two APP
Area Director positions each year. This year we are considering the
position currently held by Pete Resnick. We are considering
re-appointing Pete for another two-year term. However, we are also
considering Pete for the position of IETF Chair.

The success of the IETF NomCom process requires having a variety
qualified candidates for each position, gathering feedback from the
community, and then selecting the candidate that best meets the needs
of the community.

Currently, we only have two candidates who have agreed to be
considered for the position of APP AD. The nominations committee would
greatly appreciate having three candidates to consider for this
position. This is especially true if we are to give Pete serious
consideration for the position of IETF chair.

Note that the desire of the NomCom to identify qualified candidates is
in no way a reflection on Pete, and the job he has done as APP AD. It
may be the case that Pete is the perfect person to serve as APP AD for
the next two years, and it may be the case that someone other than
Pete is the perfect choice for IETF chair. However, it would be
unfortunate if any decision made by the NomCom was made due to a lack
of diversity in qualified candidates, and opposed to careful
consideration of the needs of the community.

Therefore, if anyone on this list would be willing to be considered
for a term as APP AD, or if you know anyone that the NomCom should
talk to, please let us know. You can email the NomCom at
[email-masked] or myself at [email-masked].

Finally, I would encourage everyone to provide input to the NomCom on
candidates that we are considering. You can provide feedback using the
web tool: https://www.ietf.org/group/nomcom/2012/input or you can send
email to [email-masked]. Additionally, the NomCom welcomes general
feedback (via email) about the state of the APP area, or the IETF as a
while and issues that we should take into account in making decisions.

Thank you for your help,
- Matt Lepinski