Subject: [apps-discuss] Metalink Clients, Publishers, and Caches / FTP HASH, RANG, & LOCK

From: Anthony Bryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 02:12:45 -0500

so, we're working on a draft on Metalink/XML Clients, Publishers, and
Caches. Metalinks list mirrors, hashes, & digital signatures to
automatically improve downloads.

RFC 5854 describes the Metalink/XML format but it has a few normative
requirements for clients - but not all, hence this new draft. we
welcome comments.

my question is, do we reference the client requirements or just copy
them into the new draft?

and we are working on an ID of the earlier Metalink community/pre-IETF
version, which I suppose will be Informational (like the OAuth 1.0
RFC) or maybe Historic?

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bryan-metalink-client

also, Tatsuhiro, Daniel, Tim, (the authors of FTP & more clients
aria2, curl, & FileZilla) & I have been working on a few FTP drafts,
which should be discussed on [email-masked] if anyone is interested.

HASH FTP command to be used by clients to request cryptographic hashes of files.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bryan-ftpext-hash

RANG command to be used by clients to designate a start and end point
to permit restarts and repairs of interrupted data transfers in STREAM
mode.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bryan-ftp-range

LOCK command to be used by clients to request the server to use the
control connection for data transfers, using a single port instead of
two.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bryan-ftp-lock

issues, etc are at https://github.com/antbryan/internetdraft

thanks,
--
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
  )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads