Subject: [apps-discuss] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-saintandre-username-interop-00.txt

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 06:38:34 -0600

Perhaps of interest here, and semi-related to the acct URI I-D...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D Action: draft-saintandre-username-interop-00.txt
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 20:52:20 -0700
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : Username Interoperability
	Author(s)       : Peter Saint-Andre
	Filename        : draft-saintandre-username-interop-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2013-05-08

Abstract:
   Various Internet protocols have defined constructs for usernames.
   This document describes a subset of characters to allow in usernames
   for maximal interoperability across Internet protocols.  The subset
   might prove useful in cases where a provider offers multiple services
   using the same underlying identifier.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-saintandre-username-interop

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-saintandre-username-interop-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 07:05:35 -0700

The term "username" might confusing here. For many web sites (not application protocols), a username is often an email address. Someone reading this document might wonder why email addresses cannot be usernames. I propose you add a sentence very early, probably in the introduction, emphasizing that this is about usernames in protocols, not in the applications themselves.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 08:41:51 -0600

On 5/9/13 8:05 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> The term "username" might confusing here. For many web sites (not
> application protocols), a username is often an email address. Someone
> reading this document might wonder why email addresses cannot be
> usernames. I propose you add a sentence very early, probably in the
> introduction, emphasizing that this is about usernames in protocols,
> not in the applications themselves.

Good point. I almost used "localpart" but that seemed a bit arcane.

I'm not sure if this document has a future (if so, I'll want to do more
research on various localpart constructs), but it was worth writing up
if only to clarify some questions that arose during IESG review of the
acct-uri I-D (e.g., "why isn't this a Network Address Identifier?").

Peter