Subject: [apps-discuss] Request for adoption of iSchedule as a WG work item

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 10:34:07 -0400

Hi folks,
After consultation with Apps Area ADs and Apps Area WG chairs I would like 
to request that the Apps Area WG adopt iSchedule 
(<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-desruisseaux-ischedule/>) as a 
working group item.

iSchedule is a cross-domain calendaring and scheduling protocol based on 
iCalendar (RFC5545), iTIP (RFC5546) and HTTP. The goal is to allow 
efficient, secure and timely exchange of scheduling messages between 
servers.

The calendaring aspects of this protocol are pretty straightforward. The 
hard part is security - in effect what we have is a messaging protocol akin 
to email and what we want to avoid are all the problems inherent in email 
(spoofing, spam etc). To that end we have adapted DKIM (RFC6376) for use 
within our protocol (with the primary goal of solving only the issues we 
need for iSchedule as opposed to developing a generic solution for signing 
HTTP messages).

iSchedule originated with work done at the Calendaring and Scheduling 
Consortium (CalConnect) and has been developed over the last several years 
via IETF drafts. There are already a number of prototype implementations 
and CalConnect has been holding regular interop events to test those and 
weed out issues with the spec.

At this point we want to move forward with the draft with more rigorous 
review, specifically of the security piece, and ultimately move forward 
with publication as a proposed standard.

So this is a call to see who in this WG would be willing to work on this 
document, and whether the WG should adopt it.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 10:58:54 -0400

On 5/28/2013 10:34 AM, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> Hi folks,
> After consultation with Apps Area ADs and Apps Area WG chairs I would 
> like to request that the Apps Area WG adopt iSchedule 
> (<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-desruisseaux-ischedule/>) as 
> a working group item.
>
> iSchedule is a cross-domain calendaring and scheduling protocol based 
> on iCalendar (RFC5545), iTIP (RFC5546) and HTTP. The goal is to allow 
> The calendaring aspects of this protocol are pretty straightforward. 
> The hard part is security - in effect what we have is a messaging 
> protocol akin to email and what we want to avoid are all the problems 
> inherent in email (spoofing, spam etc). To that end we have adapted 
> DKIM (RFC6376) for use within our protocol (with the primary goal of 
> solving only the issues we need for iSchedule as opposed to developing 
> a generic solution for signing HTTP messages).
>
> Consortium (CalConnect) and has been developed over the last several 
> years via IETF drafts. There are already a number of prototype 
> implementations and CalConnect has been holding regular interop events 
> to test those and weed out issues with the spec.
>
> At this point we want to move forward with the draft with more 
> rigorous review, specifically of the security piece, and ultimately 
> move forward with publication as a proposed standard.
>
> So this is a call to see who in this WG would be willing to work on 
> this document, and whether the WG should adopt it

I am in favor of appsawg adopting this draft and I will continue to help 
work on it.

-- 
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer
Carnegie Mellon University