Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] [rest-discuss] Re: New Internet-Draft: JSON Hypertext Application Language

From: Nick Lombard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 21:59:46 +0200

Hi Craig

Excuse me piping in here so late after the fact but this is something I
come across often.

On 13 February 2013 23:42, Craig McClanahan <[email-masked]> wrote:

On the topic of in band versus out of band, the latter would probably be
> more "pure" -- but in band is much easier for client developers to deal
> with.

Why do we perceive it easier to design and implement a custom wheel instead
of the one you already use?

>  They have to access the JSON or XML or whatever content of the response
> body anyway.  Requiring them to deal with HTTP headers or whatever as well
> is extra work.
>
> Without a HTTP Request header you cannot request content from a HTTP
server.
If successful you will receive a HTTP response header which may define a
body portion.

Dealing with HTTP headers is not optional.

At some point you'd expect the realisation to sink in, suggesting we use
anything else is unnecessary extra work... but it doesn't.

nickl