Subject: [apps-discuss] Another organization boundary design

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Jun 2013 03:59:50 -0000

I've sent in a short draft describing a way to publish DNS
organizational boundaries, more or less what Mozilla's public suffix
list does, except published in the DNS itself.

This is much less ambitious than Andrew Sullivan's draft, with no way
to describe cross-links, but it does have the advantages that it uses
wildcards so the number of records added to the DNS is roughly the
number of boundaries, not the number of nodes below a boundary. In
most cases you can find the boundary for any domain name with a single
DNS lookup.

Please take a look and tell me why it's a terrible idea, or not.  (But
please do read it before complaining.  It's only six pages.)

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-levine-orgboundary/

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 23:07:24 +0200

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 03:59:50AM -0000,
 John Levine <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 20 lines which said:

> organizational boundaries,

I confess that I do not understand it. It seems that TLD has a
special rule, for a reason I do not see. You write:

> and if the domain is just example, the client looks up _sb.example. 

To be consistent with the other examples, it should be example._sb,
no? (Also, switching from example.com to example in the middle of the
paragraph does not help.)

---

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Jun 2013 17:23:07 -0400

> To be consistent with the other examples, it should be example._sb, no?

That would require a _sb TLD, and one of the goals here is to make it 
possible for people to publish the policy records in zones they already 
manage.  It seems likely that ICANN will approve a large number of vanity 
TLDs where a single entity owns all names from the TLD on down, so I 
wanted a plausible way to describe that.

> (Also, switching from example.com to example in the middle of the

It's true, this not not easy to explain using only IETF-approved sample 
domains.  That's why I gave up later and used real Canadian ones.

R's,
John