Subject: [apps-discuss] Review of: draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc5451bis

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 13:41:01 +0200

Howdy.

I have been selected as the Applications Area Review Team reviewer for 
this draft (for background on apps-review, please see 
http://www.apps.ietf.org/content/applications-area-review-team).

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments 
you may receive. Please wait for direction from your document shepherd 
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Title:  Message Header Field for Indicating Message
         Authentication Status
I-D:      draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc5451bis-06

By:     D. Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date:   5 June 20113

Summary:

    It is common for an enterprise to distribute the security functions 
of its email service, as well distributing the transfer mechanisms.  The 
most common example is to have some message assessment -- such as 
determining the identity of the client SMTP server that sent the message 
over the public net to the enterprise's border host.  This often creates 
a need to communicate output of the border host's processing to machines 
later receiving the message within the enterprise.  The current draft 
specifies modification of a header field-based mechanism for 
communicating 'authentication' information about the message.

    An initial version of this review was provided for the previous 
version of the draft and sent to the author.  The current version of the 
document reflects many changes that derived from that review.

    The current draft is usable in its current form.

d/

-- 
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
bbiw.net