Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Request for adoption of iSchedule as a WG work item

From: Mike Douglass <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 15:27:06 -0400

I am also in favor of appsawg adopting this draft. I am happy to help 
work on it.

On 05/28/2013 10:58 AM, Ken Murchison wrote:
> On 5/28/2013 10:34 AM, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>> After consultation with Apps Area ADs and Apps Area WG chairs I would 
>> like to request that the Apps Area WG adopt iSchedule 
>> (<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-desruisseaux-ischedule/>) as 
>> a working group item.
>>
>> iSchedule is a cross-domain calendaring and scheduling protocol based 
>> on iCalendar (RFC5545), iTIP (RFC5546) and HTTP. The goal is to allow 
>> efficient, secure and timely exchange of scheduling messages between 
>> servers.
>>
>> The calendaring aspects of this protocol are pretty straightforward. 
>> The hard part is security - in effect what we have is a messaging 
>> protocol akin to email and what we want to avoid are all the problems 
>> inherent in email (spoofing, spam etc). To that end we have adapted 
>> DKIM (RFC6376) for use within our protocol (with the primary goal of 
>> solving only the issues we need for iSchedule as opposed to 
>> developing a generic solution for signing HTTP messages).
>>
>> iSchedule originated with work done at the Calendaring and Scheduling 
>> Consortium (CalConnect) and has been developed over the last several 
>> years via IETF drafts. There are already a number of prototype 
>> implementations and CalConnect has been holding regular interop 
>> events to test those and weed out issues with the spec.
>>
>> At this point we want to move forward with the draft with more 
>> rigorous review, specifically of the security piece, and ultimately 
>> move forward with publication as a proposed standard.
>>
>> So this is a call to see who in this WG would be willing to work on 
>> this document, and whether the WG should adopt it
>
> I am in favor of appsawg adopting this draft and I will continue to 
> help work on it.
>