Subject: [apps-discuss] IETF 87 APPSAWG/APPAREA Report

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 14:11:37 +0200

APPSAWG and APPAREA met in their usual joint meeting on Monday morning.

The APPSAWG session was brief.  We presented a summary of completed work
(three documents) and a reminder of the current states of our active
document set (four documents).  Two documents,
draft-ietf-appsawg-malformed-mail and draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes,
have now started WGLC ending in three weeks.

We had one presentation about a proposal to develop software configuration
protocols and standards within the IETF.  The author is being encouraged to
check with the O&M area to see if it might be a better fit for this work
before proceeding.

The APPAREA portion of the meeting was much longer, covering the following
topics:

- overview of new WGs and BoFs
- change of guard of the Applications Area Directorate, and some discussion
to doing earlier reviews across the board
- openness of IESG process, and general discussion of the operation of our
Area
- a request from JOSE for reviews by apps WGs
- Concise Binary Object Representation
- update on Aggregated Service Discovery
- a language for extending the DNS, and discussion of methods for finding
policy domains in the DNS

We unfortunately ran out of time for a presentation on
multipart/form-data.  Proponents are invited to start that discussion on
the mailing list.

-MSK, APPSAWG co-chair