Subject: [apps-discuss] Apps directorate review of draft-ivov-xmpp-cusax

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 09:46:38 -0700

I have been selected as the Applications Area Directorate reviewer for this
draft (for background on appsdir, please see 
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/ApplicationsAreaDirectorate).

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments you
may receive. Please wait for direction from your document shepherd or AD
before posting a new version of the draft.

Document:  draft-ivov-xmpp-cusax-06

Title: CUSAX: Combined Use of the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and the
Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP)

Reviewer: Ted Hardie
Review Date: July 15th, 2013

Summary: This document is ready for publication as an Informational RFC.
Some additional text in the security considerations section (or pointers to
external text) may be useful, but is not absolutely required.

 Minor Issues:  The text in the security considerations does not seem to
consider some attacks which appear obvious in light of the discussion of
federation.  The federation example points out that the mismatch between
client capabilities may cause calls to be initiated with costs contrary to
the expectation of the end user; this could, of course, be done maliciously
as well as by accident.  A back reference to the federation section with
appropriate text (or text focusing on the attack surface) might be
appropriate.

Nits: I find the text:

    Today, in the context of the SIMPLE working group,

somewhat odd in the context of an archival document.

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 15:03:30 -0700

Hi Emil,

The updated draft text addresses all of the issues I raised.

regards,

Ted Hardie

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Emil Ivov <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hey Ted,
>
>
> On 15.07.13, 18:46, Ted Hardie wrote:
>
>> I have been selected as the Applications Area Directorate reviewer for
>> this draft (for background on appsdir, please see
>> http://trac.tools.ietf.org/**area/app/trac/wiki/**
>> ApplicationsAreaDirectorate<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/ApplicationsAreaDirectorate>).
>>
>> Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
>> you may receive. Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
>> or AD before posting a new version of the draft.
>>
>> Title: CUSAX: Combined Use of the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and
>> the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP)
>>
>> Reviewer: Ted Hardie
>> Summary: This document is ready for publication as an Informational
>> RFC.  Some additional text in the security considerations section (or
>> pointers to external text) may be useful, but is not absolutely required.
>>
>> client capabilities may cause calls to be initiated with costs contrary
>> to the expectation of the end user; this could, of course, be done
>> maliciously as well as by accident.  A back reference to the federation
>> section with appropriate text (or text focusing on the attack surface)
>> might be appropriate.
>>
>
> Good point!
>
>
>  Nits: I find the text:
>>
> Indeed. Removed.
> A new version that incorporates your feedback is available here:
>
> https://github.com/emcho/**cusax/raw/master/draft-ivov-**xmpp-cusax-07.txt<https://github.com/emcho/cusax/raw/master/draft-ivov-xmpp-cusax-07.txt>
>
> (will re-submit as soon as instructed from our shepherd or ID)
>
> Does this address your comments?
>
> Thanks,
> Emil
>
> --
> https://jitsi.org
>

---

From: Emil Ivov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 23:58:04 +0200

Hey Ted,

On 15.07.13, 18:46, Ted Hardie wrote:
> http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/ApplicationsAreaDirectorate ).
>

Good point!

Indeed. Removed.

https://github.com/emcho/cusax/raw/master/draft-ivov-xmpp-cusax-07.txt

Thanks,
Emil

-- 
https://jitsi.org