Subject: [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-sieve-duplicate-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 07:12:58 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Applications Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Sieve Email Filtering: Detecting Duplicate Deliveries
	Author(s)       : Stephan Bosch
	Filename        : draft-ietf-appsawg-sieve-duplicate-01.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2013-11-04

Abstract:
   This document defines a new test command "duplicate" for the "Sieve"
   email filtering language.  This test adds the ability to detect
   duplicate message deliveries.  The main application for this new test
   is handling duplicate deliveries commonly caused by mailing list
   subscriptions or redirected mail addresses.  The detection is
   normally performed by matching the message ID to an internal list of
   message IDs from previously delivered messages.  For more complex
   applications, the "duplicate" test can also use the content of a
   specific header or other parts of the message.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-sieve-duplicate

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-appsawg-sieve-duplicate-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-appsawg-sieve-duplicate-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Stephan Bosch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 18:10:43 +0100

> http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-appsawg-sieve-duplicate-01

The following changes were made in the draft:

- Documented that the expiry time of entries in the duplicate tracking
list is measured relative to the initial message.  When needed, this can
also be performed relative to the last received duplicate by specifying
the new `:last' argument.
- Mentioned interaction with "imapsieve" extension and marked providing
the "duplicate" test in the context of "imapsieve" as NOT RECOMMENDED.
I've made a separate section for interaction with other Sieve extensions
in the process.
- The draft now explicitly states that the message ID value is tracked
independent from its source, meaning that it doesn't matter whether it
is the value of the Message-ID header, the value of some other arbitrary
header specified using `:header', or a explicit string value provided
using the `:uniqueid' argument.
- Addressed a few editorial comments by Ned Freed.

Any comments are welcome!

Regards,

Stephan.