Subject: [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 09:19:27 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Applications Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : XML Media Types
	Author(s)       : Henry S. Thompson
                          Chris Lilley
	Filename        : draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-06.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2013-12-05

Abstract:
   This specification standardizes three media types -- application/xml,
   application/xml-external-parsed-entity, and application/xml-dtd --
   for use in exchanging network entities that are related to the
   Extensible Markup Language (XML) while defining text/xml and text/
   xml-external-parsed-entity as aliases for the respective application/
   types.  This specification also standardizes the '+xml' suffix for
   naming media types outside of these five types when those media types
   represent XML MIME entities.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: [email-masked] (Henry S. Thompson)
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 17:31:07 +0000

internet-drafts writes:

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories.  This draft is a work item of the Applications Area
> Working Group Working Group of the IETF.
>
> 	Title           : XML Media Types

As usual, a disposition of comments against the previous draft is
available at

  http://www.w3.org/XML/2012/10/3023bis/05-comments.html

and an author's diff is at

  http://www.w3.org/XML/2012/10/3023bis/draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-06_diff.html

The changes in this draft are mostly in response to extensive and
helpful comments from Martin Duerst, and are mostly fairly low-level,
although in some cases pervasive, particularly in that I've tried to
be much more careful and consistent wrt terminology around the issue
of character encodings.

There are a few substantive changes, most notably as a result of
helpful feedback from Bjoern Hoehrmann about backwards-compatibility
problems arising from the promotion of BOMs to 'most authoritative'
status.

  * UTF-32 encoding is NOT RECOMMENDED for XML MIME entities

  * The requirement in XML to include an encoding declaration at the
    beginning of external parsed entities in the absence of a charset
    parameter is made unqualified (that is, is extended to the case
    where there _is_ a charset parameter) when the entity begins with
    a byte-sequence that would otherwise risk being taken for a BOM.

Comments hereby solicited on these changes, and all other aspects of the
draft.

Thanks,

ht
-- 
       Henry S. Thompson, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
      10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh EH8 9AB, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: [email-masked]
                       URL: http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/
 [mail from me _always_ has a .sig like this -- mail without it is forged spam]