Subject: [apps-discuss] RFC 7103 on Advice for Safe Handling of Malformed Messages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 21:17:33 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7103

        Title:      Advice for Safe Handling of 
                    Malformed Messages 
        Author:     M. Kucherawy, G. Shapiro,
                    N. Freed
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 48387
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-appsawg-malformed-mail-11.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7103.txt

Although Internet message formats have been precisely defined since
the 1970s, authoring and handling software often shows only mild
conformance to the specifications.  The malformed messages that
result are non-standard.  Nonetheless, decades of experience have
shown that using some tolerance in the handling of the malformations
that result is often an acceptable approach and is better than
rejecting the messages outright as nonconformant.  This document
includes a collection of the best advice available regarding a
variety of common malformed mail situations; it is to be used as
implementation guidance.

This document is a product of the Applications Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC