Subject: [apps-discuss] Call for Adoption: draft-delany-nullmx

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 13:46:20 -0800

Colleagues,

This is a formal call for adoption of draft-delany-nullmx into APPSAWG.
The call will close on February 14, 2014.  The chairs note that there has
already been some expression of support for adoption in past threads; more
feedback is requested.

As you've heard us say in Vancouver and earlier, we are instituting a new
experimental idea with respect to documents in APPSAWG, namely
"mini-charters" in order to frame discussions, set goals, and secure a
minimal set of reviewers and supporters.  The mini-charter for this draft
appears at the end of this message.

Please submit comments, concerns, support, etc. for this document's
handling by APPSAWG in reply to this thread by February 14, 2014.  Note
that this is not an indication of support for the document as-is, only for
APPSAWG adopting it for further development.

The mini-charter lists four people (in addition to the authors) willing to
provide timely reviews and support for the document through publication.
I'd like to be able to list a couple more.  If you'd like to be added to
that list, please say so in your reply.

-MSK

The mini-charter:

SMTP mail has never provided a way for a domain to state that it does
not receive mail.  If a domain publishes MX records, it definitely
does receive mail.  If it publishes no MX, but does publish A or AAAA
records there is no way to tell whether those records are indended to
identify an "implicit MX".  If a sending host attempts to send to an A
or AAAA, and is unable to connect, there is no way to tell whether the
failure is temporary or permanent, short of repeated retries.

As a result, if a user attempts to send mail to a mistyped domain, it
can take up to a week (the recommended retry limit) to get back a
failure report.  In principle, a domain could set up a stub mail
server that accepted connections and immediately rejected delivery
attempts, but that is more work than most domains want to do.  Hence
our goal is to provide a cheap way to quickly tell senders not to
bother.  (Note that an SPF record with "-all" says that a domain sends
no mail, which is not necessarily the same as receiving no mail.)

We propose that an MX record pointing to the root of the DNS, known as
"MX ." means the domain accepts no mail.  This approach has been used
informally for almost a decade, with few if any problems, but has
never been described in an IETF document.  We propose only to assign
the no-mail semantics to "MX ." and not make any other changes to
SMTP.

There is one draft to adopt: draft-delany-nullmx, to be submitted to the
IESG by the end of May, 2014.

The following have committed to work on the document through to publication:

Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]>
Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Terry Zink <[email-masked]>
Arnt Gulbrandsend <[email-masked]>

---

From: Tim Draegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 19:38:42 -0500

On Jan 30, 2014, at 4:46 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The mini-charter lists four people (in addition to the authors) willing to provide timely reviews and support for the document through publication.  I'd like to be able to list a couple more.  If you'd like to be added to that list, please say so in your reply.

This practical work makes sense to me.  Feel free to add me to the list.

=- Tim

---

From: Kurt Andersen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 17:10:25 -0800

> that list, please say so in your reply.

I'll volunteer as well.

--Kurt Andersen

---

From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 19:35:07 -0800 (PST)

I support moving this document putting this document on the standards
track.

				Ned

---

From: t.petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 09:49:55 +0000

Adopt (at last)

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF Apps Discuss" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 9:46 PM

> Arnt Gulbrandsend <[email-masked]>

------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------

> _______________________________________________
> apps-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/apps-discuss
>

---

From: Terry Zink <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 18:51:24 +0000

Me, too.

-- Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: apps-discuss [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Kurt Andersen
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:10 PM
To: Murray S. Kucherawy
Cc: IETF Apps Discuss
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Call for Adoption: draft-delany-nullmx

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The mini-charter lists four people (in addition to the authors) 
> willing to provide timely reviews and support for the document through publication.
> I'd like to be able to list a couple more.  If you'd like to be added 
> to that list, please say so in your reply.

I'll volunteer as well.

--Kurt Andersen