Subject: [apps-discuss] draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-06: recommendation on file suffixes

From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 21:30:04 +0000

Other than changing the recommendation of UTF-8, my other comments are minor:

   XML MIME producers are RECOMMENDED to provide means for XML MIME
   entity authors to determine what value, if any, is given to charset
   parameters for their entities, for example by enabling user-level
   configuration of filename-to-Content-Type-header mappings on a file-
   by-file or suffix basis.

The example really needs recommendation not just for producers,
but also for consumers that store received XML in a file system.

  Receiver -> file system
  File system -> sender

and you recommend that the "file system" link be enhanced to
remember charset if it isn't UTF-8.

For this purpose you could recommend that the file suffix ".xml"
 be reserved for UTF-8 encoded XML and use separate file extensions
For XML encoded in any other charset.

---

From: Mark Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 21:29:32 -0500

> For XML encoded in any other charset.

A problem I see with that is that it's lossy; in many (most?) cases a
+xml type will be inbound, and .xml is associated with
application/xml.

I agree that more specific guidance would be useful, but I'm not sure
what it could be.

Mark.