Subject: [apps-discuss] Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-09.txt> (XML Media Types) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 02:04:57 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Applications Area Working Group
WG (appsawg) to consider the following document:
- 'XML Media Types'
  <draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-09.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-03-17. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This specification standardizes three media types -- application/xml,
   application/xml-external-parsed-entity, and application/xml-dtd --
   for use in exchanging network entities that are related to the
   Extensible Markup Language (XML) while defining text/xml and text/
   xml-external-parsed-entity as aliases for the respective application/
   types.  This specification also standardizes the '+xml' suffix for
   naming media types outside of these five types when those media types
   represent XML MIME entities.

Note that this document has normative references to eight W3C documents,
as well as two Informational RFCs.  The Informational RFCs are:
1. RFC 2781, "UTF-16, an encoding of ISO 10646"
2. RFC 6839, "Additional Media Type Structured Syntax Suffixes"

Both of those documents should be added to the downref registry (http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/wiki/DownrefRegistry) after this last
call completes.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes/

Once IESG discussion begins, it can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

---

From: Paul Grosso <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 13:35:44 -0600

On 2014-03-03 04:04, The IESG wrote:
>   . . .

Dear IETF,

The W3C XML Core Working Group has continued to follow the progress
of XML Media Types (aka 3023-bis) over that last year (and more).

We have reviewed almost all of the
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-0*.txt
drafts and would like to support its transition to Proposed Standard.

Our Working Group members have made several comments on earlier
drafts as well as reviewed the comments and dispositions of
others as evidenced by
http://www.w3.org/XML/2012/10/3023bis/02-comments.html
and
http://www.w3.org/XML/2012/10/3023bis/06-comments.html
and various emails archived in our groups mailing list at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2013Sep/0010
and
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2013Sep/0019
and various other threads.

We look forward to having an updated replacement to RFC 3023.

Paul Grosso, co-chair
for the W3C XML Core Working Group