Subject: [apps-discuss] remoteStorage (draft-dejong-remotestorage-03 rc2 release candidate tagged)

From: "Michiel B. de Jong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 13:07:21 +0200

Hi,

In the area of per-user data storage from the browser, we are preparing 
version 03 of the remoteStorage I-D. The main change is that we are 
opening up the option to use Kerberos instead of OAuth:

https://github.com/remotestorage/spec/blob/1b5592f4a3c3493ec045becfac22f8c38c5cc898/CHANGELOG.md

Some context: There are now three options for a website to let you store 
your own user data at a different DNS domain than the website you are 
using. All three use cross-origin AJAX requests with OAuth bearer 
tokens:

* GoogleDrive JS API
* Dropbox.js
* remoteStorage

Google are of course the only provider of GoogleDrive, and Dropbox are 
the only provider of Dropbox, but remoteStorage is an open protocol 
(work in progress) that can be implemented on any server by anyone.

Who wants to help open up the monopolies on hosting per-user data? :) We 
are trying to create an open alternative for not only GoogleDrive and 
Dropbox, but also Apple's iCloud, MicroSoft's OneDrive, and even 
Canonical's UbuntuOne, all of which use proprietary and incompatible 
APIs. If this seems to be an important battle to you or to your 
employer, then: Comments and input welcome!

Cheers,
Michiel de Jong