Subject: [apps-discuss] Draft shepherd write-up for draft-ietf-appsawg-email-auth-codes-04

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 17:12:15 -0700

Hello,

This is a draft write-up for 
draft-ietf-appsawg-email-auth-codes-04.  I'll upload this version to 
the datatracker.  I can make corrections if need be.

1. Summary

    The document shepherd is S. Moonesamy.  The Responsible Area Director is
    Barry Leiba.

    draft-ietf-appsawg-email-auth-codes register Enhanced Status Codes for
    email authentication failures.  The intended status is Proposed Standard as
    the specification seeks to improve interoperability by allowing the SMTP
    server to provide more information to the SMTP client.

2. Review and Consensus

    The document was discussed by seven participants within the Applications
    Area Working Group and it has the consensus of the working group.  Most of
    issues raised were resolved.  An outstanding issue is the term
    "author-aligned".  It was agreed to resolve that during the Last Call.

    The significant issue was how to handle cases where multiple authentication
    checks failed.  Alexey Melnikov was not convinced about have an 
enhanced status
    code for that case but it is okay with doing that as it provides more
    information.  There was agreement to assign an enhanced status 
code for such a
    case.

    There was some discussion about whether to register enhanced 
status codes for
    DMARC.  The working group agreed to handle that as part of a 
specification about
    DMARC.

    There was a very strong objection to including enhanced status 
codes for DKIM
    as it violates a recommendation in RFC 6376.  There was agreement 
to have text
    in this document to make it clear that is not recommended behaviour and
    it is a local policy decision.

3. Intellectual Property

    There isn't any IPR disclosure referencing this document.  The author has
    confirmed that the document is in full conformance with BCP 78 and BCP 79.

4. Other points

    The document updates RFC 7208 as it registers a new enhanced status
    code for SPF.  There is an explanation for the update in the Introduction
    Section.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy (as document shepherd)