Subject: [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-authres-ptypes-registry-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 02:51:58 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Applications Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : A Property Types Registry for the Authentication-Results Header Field
        Author          : Murray S. Kucherawy
	Filename        : draft-ietf-appsawg-authres-ptypes-registry-00.txt
	Pages           : 5
	Date            : 2014-08-10

Abstract:
   [RFC7001] describes a header field called Authentication-Results for
   use with electronic mail messages to indicate the results of message
   authentication efforts.  Any receiver-side software, such as mail
   filters or Mail User Agents (MUAs), can add or use this header field
   to relay that information in a convenient and meaningful way to
   users, or make sorting and filtering decisions.

   One portion of the definition in that document limits the types of
   authentication properties about a message to a small, fixed set.
   This document updates the specification to allow new property types
   to be declared and used.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-authres-ptypes-registry/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-appsawg-authres-ptypes-registry-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Scott Kitterman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 18:50:33 -0400

On Monday, August 11, 2014 02:51:58 [email-masked] wrote:
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories. This draft is a work item of the Applications Area Working
> Group Working Group of the IETF.
> 
>         Title           : A Property Types Registry for the
> Authentication-Results Header Field Author          : Murray S. Kucherawy

I've reviewed the document and support the concept.  I'm not sure about the 
backward compatibility approach though.

A-R parsing code based on a strict interpretation of the existing standard, 
RFC 7001, would raise an error with a new ptype.  There's nothing in 7001 or 
its predecessors to indicate unknown ptypes are anything other than an error 
condition.

As an alternative solution, I would suggest that this draft state that any A-R 
field that uses a new ptype must use version 2.  For backward compatibility 
systems adding version 2 A-R fields can also add a version 1 field that omits 
the new ptype if that is a useful thing to do.  Processing software that has 
been updated to consume version 2 records should ignore duplicate version 1 
records.

Scott K

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 16:06:08 -0700

> its predecessors to indicate unknown ptypes are anything other than an

Section 4.1 of 7001 says:

   MUAs and downstream filters MUST ignore any result reported using a
   "result" not specified in the IANA "Result Code" registry or a
   "ptype" not listed in the corresponding registry for such values as
   defined in Section 6
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7001#section-6>.  Moreover, such agents
MUST ignore a result
   indicated for any "method" they do not specifically support.

Doesn't that cover it?

-MSK

---

From: Scott Kitterman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 19:20 -0400

>    indicated for any "method" they do not specifically support.

Actually, I think it does.  Never mind, I'm happy.

Scott K

---

From: Tim Draegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 17:20:29 -0400

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-authres-ptypes-registry/

I've reviewed this, and support its movement onward & upward.  If ongoing review is needed, feel free to include me.
=- Tim