Subject: [apps-discuss] Richard Barnes' Yes on draft-ietf-appsawg-nullmx-07: (with COMMENT)

From: "Richard Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 12:13:10 -0700

Richard Barnes has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-appsawg-nullmx-07: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-nullmx/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems like it would be worth documenting the fact that this is likely
to result in increased bogus traffic to the DNS root.  Just because "."
is technically not valid doesn't mean that some DNS libraries won't
accept it.  For example, `dig . A` will happily send a query.  But the
root is already used to dealing with noise, and in exchange for
increasing that noise floor a little, we get to potentially reduce mail
noise by a lot.  So the trade-off is worth making, but it would be nice
to document it.