Subject: [apps-discuss] RFC 7377 on IMAP4 Multimailbox SEARCH Extension

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 16:17:58 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7377

        Title:      IMAP4 Multimailbox SEARCH Extension 
        Author:     B. Leiba, A. Melnikov
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 24711
        Obsoletes:  RFC 6237
        Updates:    RFC 4466

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-appsawg-multimailbox-search-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7377.txt

The IMAP4 specification allows the searching of only the selected
mailbox.  A user often wants to search multiple mailboxes, and a
client that wishes to support this must issue a series of SELECT and
SEARCH commands, waiting for each to complete before moving on to the
next.  This extension allows a client to search multiple mailboxes
with one command, limiting the delays caused by many round trips and
not requiring disruption of the currently selected mailbox.  This
extension also uses MAILBOX, UIDVALIDITY, and TAG fields in ESEARCH
responses, allowing a client to pipeline the searches if it chooses.
This document updates RFC 4466 and obsoletes RFC 6237.

This document is a product of the Applications Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC