Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-file-scheme-00.txt

From: t.petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 18:20:14 +0000

I was about to ask about progress with the mini-charter and then I
noticed that this I-D is in the deliverables for July 2015.

Digging further, I see

=================================================
The "file" URI scheme is woefully out of date. The document that defines
it, RFC 1738, has been superseded by the generic URI syntax of RFC 3986,
and the status of RFC 1738 is listed as "Obsolete". As such, the "file"
URI scheme is viewed by many in the Internet community as being without
a current defining standard, and in need of updating to match current
standards and implementations.

This document defines an updated "file" URI scheme, promoting
interoperability by being compatible with the generic syntax of RFC
3986, while enumerating commonly-encountered variations that have arisen
during the scheme's long history of vague standardisation.

Specifically:

A normative syntax specification that defines a subset of RFC 3986 URI
syntax that will be considered valid "file" URI strings, and sufficient
to cover common "file" URI usage in the wild where it does not conflict
with RFC 3986.
An informative section describing common syntaxes that are not
compatible with RFC 3986, possibly with advice for translating to a
compatible syntax.
An informative section that describes some common "file" URI usages and
how they map onto underlying file systems.
Reviewers:

Julian Reschke <​[email-masked]>
Nico Williams <​[email-masked]>
Sean Leonard <​[email-masked]>

=========================================

I do not recall seeing this on the list - well, I do now.  And I think
that this means that we can start work!

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
To: "Matthew Kerwin" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "IETF Apps Discuss" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2015 5:01 PM
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] I-D Action:
draft-ietf-appsawg-file-scheme-00.txt

> On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 5:26 PM, Matthew Kerwin
<[email-masked]>
> wrote:
>
> > As you can see below, the file: scheme draft has been adopted by the
WG.
> > I'm in the process of writing a mini-charter, part of which is a
list of
> > people who will commit to doing timely reviews of the document.
> >
> > Could I please ask for volunteers to provide reviews, whose names I
can
> > list in the charter?
> >
>
> APPSAWG also regularly invites people other than the co-chairs to act
as
> document shepherd for the documents we develop.  If anyone would be
> interested in filling this role for this document, please email
> [email-masked].
>
> -MSK
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------

> _______________________________________________
> apps-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/apps-discuss
>