Subject: [apps-discuss] Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-appsawg-text-markdown-08: (with COMMENT)

From: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 15:33:02 -0700

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-appsawg-text-markdown-08: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-text-markdown/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

1.  From Nevil's OPS DIR feedback: 
> 2. The markdown Example (Section 5) is helpful, but it doesn't seem
>   to have an obvious end marker - it just runs on into section 6.
>   Does markdown have something like an end-of-file marker you could
>   use to make that obvious?
And answered by Alexey:
>
> Not really, it is a textual format with no special end marker.
>
> I suppose the whole example can be surrounded by some markers and a
note added that they are not a part of the example?

could we use the <CODE BEGINS> and <CODE ENDS>?

2. "A companion document [MDMTUSES] provides additional Markdown
background and philosophy."

There is more than that. See the
draft-ietf-appsawg-text-markdown-use-cases abstract: "Background
information, local storage strategies, and additional syntax
registrations are supplied"

3. Editorial
OLD: [fOo]
NEW: [foo]

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 13:05:48 +0100

Hi Benoit,

If you think this is Ok for something which is not a code fragment, I 
would personally be Ok with that.

---

From: Sean Leonard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 20:10:00 -0700

(This response takes Alexey Melnikov’s comment into account.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-text-markdown/

Actually the example in Section 5 is indented by one space. The final line of example:

{{
[fOo]: http://example.com/loc 'Will Not Work with Markdown.pl-1.0.1'
}}

goes right up to the edge, so it cannot be indented further than one space, unless I change the example. (Note that it is difficult to say 'Won't Work with…' due to the use of ' as a delimiter. 

I think it is fine as-is. It is clear (to me, anyway) that "6.  IANA Considerations" is a new section.

> registrations are supplied"

Revised text:
{{
A companion document [MDMTUSES] provides additional Markdown background, philosophy, local storage strategies, and variant registrations (including examples).
}}

> NEW: [foo]

The spelling is intentional: link identifiers are not case-sensitive. (The text “(Remember that link identifiers are not case-sensitive.)” appears in the example itself.) 

Kind regards,

Sean

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 12:24:59 +0200

Thanks Sean.

Regards, Benoit