Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Terry Manderson's Discuss on draft-ietf-appsawg-text-markdown-08: (with DISCUSS)

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 22:12:10 -0700

Hi Terry,

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 8:32 PM, Terry Manderson <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> DISCUSS:
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I'm holding a discuss on this document given my discuss lodged for
> draft-ietf-appsawg-text-markdown-use-cases-02

It was a working group choice to split the document that creates the
registry from all of the initial registrations.  The working group felt the
original combined document was too large and opted for a split when it was
discussed at IETF 91 in Honolulu.

The "use cases" name is misleading, do you have something else in mind?
Maybe something like "Registrations for Markdown Variants"?

-MSK

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 06:53:11 -0700

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 11:29 PM, Terry Manderson <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hi Murray,
>
> Thanks for the prompt reply.
>
> I think the name incorrectly positions the document, along with the text
> in the entry to section 1. It's not just an informational document.
> (despite the Intended RFC Status) And it doesn't read as a use-cases.
>
> I think "Strategies and Registrations for Markdown [identifiers|variants]"
> perhaps? But not use-cases surely. :-)
>
> With that tone change please review some of the text in the doc (eg
> section 3 where the reason for the registrations is they illustrate
> interesting use cases. I would posit that the such text is superfluous in
> light of the more important aspect of "broadly applicable to the Internet
> community"
>

I can work with the author on these points and get back to you.

Do you still want to hold a DISCUSS on the fact that this is two documents
instead of one?

-MSK

---

From: "Terry Manderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 20:32:55 -0700

Terry Manderson has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-appsawg-text-markdown-08: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-text-markdown/

I'm holding a discuss on this document given my discuss lodged for
draft-ietf-appsawg-text-markdown-use-cases-02.

---

From: Terry Manderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 06:29:41 +0000

Hi Murray,

Cheers
Terry

On 8/07/2015 3:12 pm, "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Hi Terry,
>
>On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 8:32 PM, Terry Manderson
><[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
>registry from all of the initial registrations.  The working group felt
>the original combined document was too large and opted for a split when
>it was discussed at IETF 91 in Honolulu.
>
>
>

---

From: Terry Manderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 00:00:54 +0000

On 8/07/2015 11:53 pm, "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 11:29 PM, Terry Manderson
>Do you still want to hold a DISCUSS on the fact that this is two
>documents instead of one?

Based on discussions, no - I'll drop the DISCUSS on markdown-08.

Thanks
Terry