Subject: [apps-discuss] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7303 (4578)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 17:42:45 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC7303,
"XML Media Types".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=7303&eid=4578

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Martin Dürst <[email-masked]>

Section: 4.2

Original Text
-------------
In addition to the changes described above, the change controller has
been changed to be the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).

Corrected Text
--------------
In addition to the changes described above, the change controller for
the '+xml' Structured Syntax Suffix has been changed to be the World
Wide Web Consortium (W3C).

Notes
-----
At https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/lager/hRVFkda9GKFTYeBcmK2Ge9OdvoA, the sentence was misread to apply to all registrations with a +xml suffix, rather than only to the registration of the suffix itself.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC7303 (draft-ietf-appsawg-xml-mediatypes-10)
--------------------------------------
Title               : XML Media Types
Publication Date    : July 2014
Author(s)           : H. Thompson, C. Lilley
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Applications Area Working Group APP
Area                : Applications
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Chris Lilley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 14:02:17 +0200

Hello RFC Errara System,

> The following errata report has been submitted for RFC7303,

I believe that the original text is correct, because W3C is change
controller not only of the +xml suffic but also of application/xml and
related types.

Henry, do you agree?

> Reported by: Martin DÃ¼rst <[email-masked]>

> Notes
> -----
> At
> https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/lager/hRVFkda9GKFTYeBcmK2Ge9OdvoA,
> the sentence was misread to apply to all registrations with a +xml
> suffix, rather than only to the registration of the suffix itself.

-- 
Best regards,
 Chris  Lilley
 Technical Director, W3C Interaction Domain

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 14:14:35 +0100

On 2016-01-05 13:02, Chris Lilley wrote:
> ....

The set of affected media types by definition can't be open-ended. If 
that's what people read out of this statement, then it's at least 
misleading.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Martin J. Dürst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 14:53:40 +0900

Hello Chris,

> controller not only of the +xml suffic but also of application/xml and

It's certainly true that W3C is the change controller not only of the 
+xml suffix but also of application/xml and related types.

But the sentence in question is placed at the end of Section 4.2 (which 
is entitled "Using '+xml' when Registering XML-Based Media Types" and 
followed by another subsection). Therefore, reading it as applying to 
+xml suffixed types is somewhat understandable.

So the question is how could the sentence be changed (or moved?) so that 
it would be clear that it applies to the +xml suffix registration and 
application/xml and related types, but NOT to subtypes using the +xml 
convention.

Chris, Henry, any ideas?

Regards,   Martin.

---

From: [email-masked] (Henry S. Thompson)
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2016 12:47:04 +0000

> controller not only of the +xml suffic but also of application/xml and

No, I think Martin's change is OK -- this change is in section 4.2,
which is specifically a takeover of the '+xml' suffix registration from
RFC6839.

That W3C is the change controller for application/xml etc. is not a
change, it was true in 3023.

ht
-- 
       Henry S. Thompson, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
      10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh EH8 9AB, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: [email-masked]
                       URL: http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/
 [mail from me _always_ has a .sig like this -- mail without it is forged spam]

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 09:13:01 -0500

> change, it was true in 3023.

As one of the authors of RFC6839, I agree with the above comments, and
support Martin's improved wording. W3C is not supposed to be the change
controller for application/example+xml, and reading this sentence to
mean that W3C does become such is definitely a mistake. Martin's
improved wording eliminates any such confusion.

    Tony Hansen

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 07:58:29 -0500

Seeing no further comments on this, I'm going to go ahead and mark
this report Verified.

Barry

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 9:13 AM, Tony Hansen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> apps-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/apps-discuss