Subject: [apps-discuss] Protocol Action: 'Problem Details for HTTP APIs' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-appsawg-http-problem-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 12:09:40 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Problem Details for HTTP APIs'
  (draft-ietf-appsawg-http-problem-03.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the ART Area General Applications Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ben Campbell, Barry Leiba and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-http-problem/

Technical Summary

This document defines a "problem detail" as a way to carry machine-
readable details of errors in a HTTP response, to avoid the need to
invent new error response formats for HTTP APIs.

Review and Consensus

The document originally appeared as an individual submission in July of
2012 and went through some evolution resulting in several revisions
before being adopted by APPSAWG about a year ago.  It has been largely
stable since then.  There has been cross-development between APPSAWG
participants and W3C TAG.  Development has stabilized since its WGLC,
and implementations have matured with little change to the document.

Perhaps noteworthy with respect to consensus is that the participants of
APPSAWG cover a broad area of applications, and only some focus on HTTP
work.  However, that smaller group does tend to be active and thorough
when they take up a work item in their specific interest area.  With
that in mind, consensus on the current content appears to be solid
rather than rough.

One of the document authors is both HTTPBIS chair and also the IETF
liaison to the W3C, so there has been ample airing of this proposal on
both sides of that particular fence.

Personnel

Murray Kucherawy is the document shepherd.  Barry Leiba is the
responsible Area Director.