Subject: [apps-discuss] Appsdir review of XML schema in https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-clue-data-model-schema-14

From: [email-masked] (Henry S. Thompson)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 16:58:00 +0100

[Argh, fumble-finger -- resending with correct address lines]

Document: draft-ietf-clue-data-model-schema
Title: An XML Schema for the CLUE data model
Reviewer: Henry S. Thompson
Review Date: 2016-05-11
IETF Last Call Date: 2016-05-23
ESG Telechat Date: 2016-06-02

I have been selected as the Applications Area Directorate reviewer for
this draft (for background on appsdir, please see
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/ApplicationsAreaDirectorate).

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive. Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Summary: The XML Schema itself which is included in this draft is
conformant to the XML Schema 1.0 spec, and is good to go, subject to a
minor correction.  There is a minor glitch in one of the XML examples,
also easily corrected.

Comments:

I tested the XML Schema document included as section 4 and it passes as
valid against the schema for schemas.  The example document in section
17 is schema-valid according to the corresponding schema.  See 'Nits'
below for a minor problem with the example document in section 18.

I briefly reviewed the schema document and it seems straightforward and
fit for its intended purpose.

Minor Issues:

Section 4, lines 13--14:

 <xs:import namespace="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:vcard-4.0"
 schemaLocation="xcard.xsd"/>

As this stands, it's not actually usable for validation purposes,
because no xcard.xsd file is supplied.  Furthermore, there is no
Appendix A, which is alleged to provide it (see 11.29.1.2).

I note further that the xCard RFC (6351) doesn't contain an XSD-format
schema document either.  The IANA XML Registry [1] schema entry for the
urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:vcard-4.0 URN namespace _does_ however link to
such a schema document [2].  I suggest you either
  a) Edit the draft so the above lines read

 <xs:import namespace="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:vcard-4.0"
 schemaLocation="http://www.iana.org/assignments/xml-registry/schema/vcard-4.0.xsd"/>

  (this is what I did to do the validity checks I did);

or

 b) Delete the schemaLocation attribute and add a comment identifying
    possible sources of a schema document for the vcard-4.0 namespace,
    e.g. the above iana.org URI or the contents of Appendix A (if you
    fill it in).

Nits:

Section 18, the XML example has a (copy-paste?) error, which renders
that example invalid against the schema.  The line

             <encGroupIDREF>EG0</encGroupIDREF>

appears twice inside mediaCapture VC7, once on line 204 and once on line
237.  The first occurrence should be deleted.

[1] http://www.iana.org/assignments/xml-registry/xml-registry.xhtml#schema
[2] http://www.iana.org/assignments/xml-registry/schema/vcard-4.0.xsd
-- 
       Henry S. Thompson, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
      10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh EH8 9AB, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: [email-masked]
                       URL: http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/
 [mail from me _always_ has a .sig like this -- mail without it is forged spam]

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 20:35:38 +0200

Thank you for doing this prompt review, Henry.

Eliot

---

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 18:36:07 +0300

Thanks for the review,
I forwarded it also to the CLUE WG mailing list
Roni Even
CLUE WG co-chair

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Henry S. Thompson [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 6:58 PM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Appsdir review of XML schema in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-
> ietf-clue-data-model-schema-14
> 
this
> draft (for background on appsdir, please see
>
> 
> Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments you
> may receive. Please wait for direction from your document shepherd or AD
> before posting a new version of the draft.
> 
conformant
> to the XML Schema 1.0 spec, and is good to go, subject to a minor
> correction.  There is a minor glitch in one of the XML examples, also
easily
> corrected.
fit
> for its intended purpose.
> 
> Minor Issues:
> 
> Section 4, lines 13--14:
> 
> As this stands, it's not actually usable for validation purposes, because
no
> xcard.xsd file is supplied.  Furthermore, there is no Appendix A, which is
> alleged to provide it (see 11.29.1.2).
> 
> Section 18, the XML example has a (copy-paste?) error, which renders that
> example invalid against the schema.  The line
> 
>                        URL: http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/  [mail from me
_always_ has
> a .sig like this -- mail without it is forged spam]

---

From: Simon Pietro Romano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 00:25:56 +0200

Hello Henry,

let us thank you for your thorough review! Please find in-line (preceded by [spromano]) our answers to your comments.

> minor correction.  There is a minor glitch in one of the XML examples,

[spromano] this is good news. Thank you!

>  (this is what I did to do the validity checks I did);

[spromano] Done.

>    e.g. the above iana.org URI or the contents of Appendix A (if you

[spromano] See above (we chose the former option…).

> 237.  The first occurrence should be deleted.

[spromano] You are referring to VC4, right? If so, the issue has been solved. Good catch!

Thank you once again,

Simon and Roberta

> [2] http://www.iana.org/assignments/xml-registry/schema/vcard-4.0.xsd

                     					       _\\|//_
                           				      ( O-O )
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o00~~(_)~~00o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    				Simon Pietro Romano
             				 Universita' di Napoli Federico II
                		     Computer Engineering Department 
	             Phone: +39 081 7683823 -- Fax: +39 081 7683816
                                           e-mail: [email-masked]

		    <<Molti mi dicono che lo scoraggiamento è l'alibi degli 
		    idioti. Ci rifletto un istante; e mi scoraggio>>. Magritte.
               			                     oooO
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(   )~~~ Oooo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
					                 \ (            (   )
			                                  \_)          ) /
                                                                       (_/

---

From: [email-masked] (Henry S. Thompson)
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 03:14:20 +0100

Simon Pietro Romano writes:

> let us thank you for your thorough review! Please find in-line
> (preceded by [spromano]) our answers to your comments.

You're welcome.  With the smalls changes you report in the rest of your
message, as far as my review is concerned you are good to go.

>> ...

Yes, don't know where the VC7 came from.

ht