Subject: [apps-discuss] Regular Expressions for Internet Mail Identifiers (draft-seantek-mail-regexen)

From: Sean Leonard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 09:34:08 -0700

Hi Apps-Discuss,

Just wanted to bring this work to this mailing list's attention:

Regular Expressions for Internet Mail Identifiers 
(draft-seantek-mail-regexen)

Basically it is a proposed set of regular expressions for identifying 
and teasing out e-mail addresses and Message-IDs. It got some time at 
IETF95 and has been discussed on the dispatch@ list. Joe Hildebrand and 
Tony Hansen are working with me on the next iterations of the draft.

Sean

PS I am still a bit confused about the distinction between dispatch@ and 
apps-discuss@ at this point for getting practical work done. But based 
on the most recent directive e-mails, I am going with posting this (on 
the understanding that dispatch@ is not meant for "actual technical work").

-------- Forwarded Message --------

Subject: 	New Version Notification for draft-seantek-mail-regexen-00.txt
Date: 	Mon, 21 Mar 2016 16:55:53 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-seantek-mail-regexen-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Sean Leonard and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-seantek-mail-regexen
Revision:	00
Title:		Regular Expressions for Internet Mail
Document date:	2016-03-21
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		24
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-seantek-mail-regexen-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-seantek-mail-regexen/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-seantek-mail-regexen-00

Abstract:
    Internet Mail identifiers are used ubiquitously throughout computing
    systems as building blocks of online identity. Unfortunately,
    incomplete understandings of the syntaxes of these identifiers has
    led to interoperability problems and poor user experiences. Many
    users use specific characters in their addresses that are not
    properly accepted on various systems. This document prescribes
    normative regular expression (regex) patterns for all Internet-
    connected systems to use when validating or parsing Internet Mail
    identifiers, with special attention to regular expressions that work
    with popular languages and platforms.