Subject: [Autoconf] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-chakeres-manet-arch-01.txt

From: "Ian Chakeres" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 11:21:03 -0700

I'd like to announce the arch-01 document.

Please review it, send me comments, and bring discussion to the mailing list.

Thanks.
Ian Chakeres

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Oct 5, 2006 12:50 PM
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-chakeres-manet-arch-01.txt
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : Mobile Ad hoc Network Architecture
        Author(s)       : I. Chakeres, et al.
        Filename        : draft-chakeres-manet-arch-01.txt
        Pages           : 17
        Date            : 2006-10-5

This document discusses Mobile Ad hoc NETworks (MANETs).  It
   introduces basic MANET terms, characteristics, and challenges.  This
   document also defines several MANET entities and architectural
   concepts.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chakeres-manet-arch-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
"get draft-chakeres-manet-arch-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-chakeres-manet-arch-01.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce

_______________________________________________
Autoconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf

---

From: Shubhranshu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 19:02:09 +0530

Ian et al/All,

I went through this revised ID and found it well written. However, this version also does not say anything about MANET subnet. Looking from the Autoconf perspective, two important things that I would like to see in this document are: 

- Specific text about MANET subnet 
- Since there could be different subnet models, this document should nail down all the options and come forward with single model that could be acceptable to the majority. 
It would be good to hear different thoughts & opinions on the second point.   

Other thoughts related to this ID are:

- I wonder how much of section 7.2. "Cross Layering" belong to this document. I find this section quite general and true for any wireless network.

- "Challenges" section sounds more like requirements than architecture and I would suggest further revision. 

- IMO, first para, section 4 does not belong to this document esp I think words such as "ideally suited" should be avoided. 

Regards,
Shubhranshu