Subject: [Autoconf] IPv6 addresses used for MANET protocols

From: "Teco Boot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:32:36 +0200

Dear authors of the MANET protocol documents,

I want your opinion on IPv6 source addresses used for std MANET protocols
(DYMO/OLSRv2/PacketBB).
The current documents do not specify this, maybe for being neutral on v4 /
v6 or not burning your hands.

IMHO LL addresses are appropriate, as to my knowledge all existing IPv6 IGP
routing protocols use these and packets are send single hop only. There MUST
be very good reasons to deviate, and even then we SHOULD think twice before
proposing something like that.

Are we 100% sure all packets are single hop? Using LL when a message is sent
multihop could be possible when using /128 LL prefixes, but this is
something I dislike. I would use a ULA for this.

Using LL as unique addresses in a MANET (globally unique link local
addresses) is OK only if InterfaceID's are globally unique (u=1, as
specified in rfc4291). For other LL addresses we could use fully random
InterfaceID's and take an extremely low risk on duplicate. Passive DAD
reduces change on collisions, and we could think on address spoofing
protection (e.g. SeND or something like that). This is applicable also for
globally unique link local addresses, if someone needs this.

Regards, Teco

_______________________________________________
Autoconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf