Subject: [Autoconf] Support for what I hope will become rogh consensus

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:24:25 -0000

Unfortunately, I won't be in Hiroshima. But in the interests
of indicating one more support for what I hope will be a rough
consensus (though clearly not unanimity) my views are:

- The priority is to get a document agreed by the WG and then
  by the IESG, so the WG can get on with the real work of
  actually designing/specifying a protocol. This needs to be
  now (Hiroshima timescale). In fact we almost were there at
  Stockholm.

- The best route to that is to accept the adoption of the
  Baccelli/Townsley document, and consider minor but not
  extensive revisions. Other documents (kept as private
  drafts) may inform that process. Opening up a whole
  debate between documents is not going to achieve the
  point above.

- With regard to the specific issue of LL addresses, any use
  of LL addresses, and certainly any use in conjunction with
  any of the MANET WG protocols, leads to issues of possible
  violation of LL address locality constraints that will, in
  my and other people's best estimation, lead to the strong
  likelihood of significant delays, at best, in the draft
  being accepted by the IESG.

- A carefully crafted (and the draft attempts this) deprecation,
  but not prohibition, of consideration of LL addresses should
  achieve this. Note that I would then expect anyone who does
  want to use LL addresses, considering that the non-locality
  issues are acceptable, will probably be able to employ some
  variant, or even an unchanged, version of whatever protcol
  is eventually worked on. But that is not however essential.

-- 
Christopher Dearlove
Technology Leader, Communications Group
Networks, Security and Information Systems Department
BAE Systems Advanced Technology Centre
West Hanningfield Road, Great Baddow, Chelmsford, CM2 8HN, UK
Tel: +44 1245 242194  Fax: +44 1245 242124

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered Office: Warwick House, PO Box 87,
Farnborough Aerospace Centre, Farnborough, Hants, GU14 6YU, UK
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687

********************************************************************
This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended
recipient and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender.
You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or
distribute its contents to any other person.
********************************************************************