Subject: [Autoconf] Stacks use LLs - don't do surgery removing them

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 11:18:27 +0100

LLs are not an illness.

I have run IPv6 over many kinds of links.  LLs are always there over:
serial, ethernet, wifi, bluetooth, 3g, umts - many kinds.

This is running code.  This is practical.  This is implementation.

I agree with Ronald about not wanting to go do surgery on the IPv6
stacks to make them stop using using LLs.

I don't know what you (the group) are talking about when going against
LLs on all fronts.

Alex
(no need to mike it - it's obvious)

---

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 11:25:17 +0100

> I don't know what you (the group) are talking about when going against
Nobody here want to prevent anyone from using LL...

it's just that the normal IPv6 LL mechanisms including DAD will not give you 
guarantied good result in a mesh network.

So either you have to live with the fact that your LL might conflicting or you 
need a better algorithm to get them (better than DAD).

Henning Rogge
--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE
Kommunikationssysteme (KOM)
Neuenahrer Straße 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Telefon +49 228 9435-263,   Fax +49 228 9435 685
mailto:[email-masked] http://www.fkie.fraunhofer.de
GPG: E1C6 0914 490B 3909 D944 F80D 4487 C67C 55EC CFE0

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:35:06 +0100

> guarantied good result in a mesh network.

Henning, but DAD is not a mechanism specific to LLs.  It is a mechanism 
specific to all current addresses.  In this sense - do you also discard 
all other addresses, like globals?

> need a better algorithm to get them (better than DAD).

I want LLs to be treated as first-class citizens.

LLs should be used in the first steps towards configuring other 
addresses.  They are very practical - always there, on many types of 
links, prior to receiving any packet for auto-configuration.

Even links which have not specified an IETF-blessed means for forming an 
Interface Identifier do offer implemented link-local addresses (I mean 
e.g. USB).

Otherwise, if not using LLs, you're going to be using the unspecified 
addresses "::" in the src field of the initial packets configuring 
wider-than-local scoped addresses (globals or ULAs).

The uniqueness requirements for LLs are easier to satisfy than 
uniqueness for across-two-hops, or across-MANET: they're supposed unique 
on the link scope, not wider.  That is easier to ensure, with DAD or 
with any other new detection of duplicated addresses mechanism.

That said, I will stay silent for a while.

Alex

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Autoconf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf