Subject: [Ietf-calsify] Event CLASS

From: camerost at exchange.microsoft.com (Cameron Stillion)
Date: Sat Aug 21 09:16:25 2004

I agree.

The RFC seems to indicate (accurately) the limited use of this property
as a means of security, but as a method of indicating the intention of
the user.  I find this likely to be somewhat client-specific, but the
specification of a few clearly-defined and commonly-used values should
be valuable.

Let's take a crack at "clearly-defined" then...

PUBLIC  : visible to anyone with access to your calendar. PUBLIC events
should by default always be included in free/busy information, published
calendars, and any other means of transporting or communicating calendar
information.

PRIVATE : visible only to those you have explicitly given access to this
class of events.  PRIVATE events details are *optionally* included with
free/busy information, published calendars, and other means of
transporting or communicating calendar information. It is recommended
that private events are excluded by default. Clients should allow their
inclusion when the user overrides this behavior.
(I can imagine a client trying to be smart about this, for instance,
when you publish a calendar to someone who you have given access to your
private data... Furthermore, private information is still valuable as
free/busy information for scheduling, but the details of those events
should be considered private)

CONFIDENTIAL : visible only to those you have explicitly given access to
this class of events... 
(I'm stuck here - confidential seems very much like private to me.
Semantically, I would say that confidential feels more like a corporate
policy setting than private, which sounds more like an individual user
setting.  I'm not sure what the intention of the original creators was
here, but this is how I read it.)
Again, free/busy information on confidential events is valuable for
scheduling, but the details of those events should be subject to
whatever client-side security can be applied to 'confidential' objects.

Conceptually, I imagine that confidential access would be given to
people in the same corporate team, while private access might be given
to people in your personal inner circle of close friends and family.
There might be an intersection of the two groups as well, implying that
access to private and access to confidential are distinct and separate
settings.

camerost 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Satya
Vempati
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 2:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ietf-calsify] Event class

Another area in need of simplification/better explanation is the event
class: PUBLIC/PRIVATE/CONFIDENTIAL.
 
The spec does not clearly define what each value means.