Subject: [Ietf-calsify] Recommendations for stripping down iCal toa manageable 'standard'

From: camerost at exchange.microsoft.com (Cameron Stillion)
Date: Tue Aug 17 13:10:08 2004

I'd love to see a property for all-day events, but that implies adding
to our standard.  Perhaps there's an x- prop that we can encourage use
of? A boolean property makes more sense to me than specifying midnight
to midnight or a time range of zero.  It is resilient to time zone
calculations.

Does anyone else feel strongly about all-day events?

Cam

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Preston
Stephenson
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 11:35 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ietf-calsify] Recommendations for stripping down iCal toa
manageable 'standard'

>1.1) Limit Schema Support
>
>As a non-goal, I suggest that our purpose is NOT to define a schema
for
>all types of PIM data -  specifically, journal items, task items,
etc.
>Other data types like those mentioned should be specified in OTHER 
>standards.  This means removing VJOURNAL and VTODO from this
document.

Do you think it will add too much complexity to support VJOURNAL and
VTODO?

They are usually simpler than VEVENT's.
It wouldn't seem that more difficult to support all three.
Are we going to come up with a definition of an all-day event?
I've seen it handled multiple ways.

Thanks.
Preston

_______________________________________________
Ietf-calsify mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.osafoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-calsify

---

From: Doug at Royer.com (Doug Royer)
Date: Tue Aug 17 13:41:39 2004

>Does anyone else feel strongly about all-day events?
They exist as  anniversary, DTSTART/DTEND with time zone and
DTSTART/DTEND wo/time zone.

All three have distinct differences:

    Anniversary:
                All day - never shows up as opaque (Birthday)
                Has DTSTART with VALUE=DATE and does not include DTEND 
or DURATION.
                I do not think that we can eliminate this one.

    DTSTART/DTEND with TZ:
                All day in specific time zone.  An event that consumes 
specific time
                relative to UTC that just happens to exactly overlap one 
day in a specific time zone.
                This one can not be eliminated as it is really just any 
kind of VEVENT that just
                happens to span 24 hours.

    DTSTART/DTEND with out TZ
               All day in viewers local time.  (New Years day is local 
to viewer)
               I do not think we can eliminate this one.

So what is the conflict or addition?

-- 

Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
-------------------------------|-----------------------------
[email-masked]                 | Office: (208)520-4044
http://Royer.com/People/Doug   | Fax:    (866)594-8574
                               | Cell:   (208)520-4044

              We Do Standards - You Need Standards

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
Size: 4696 bytes
Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature
Url : http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/attachments/20040817/268d38b0/smime.bin

---

From: Chris_Stoner at notesdev.ibm.com ([email-masked])
Date: Tue Aug 17 13:42:42 2004

> Does anyone else feel strongly about all-day events?

I agree that All Day Events need some sort of additional property.  These
can get tricky and if we can quickly figure out it's an All Day Event, that
would help implementors decide what to do with it (without first parsing
the time/date objects, etc.)
-CS