Subject: [Ietf-calsify] possible VALARM solution?

From: TimHare at comcast.net ([email-masked])
Date: Sun Sep 5 19:35:54 2004

Here's an idea for simplification of the "VALARM problem".

The originator of a calendar object (meeting, to-do item, appointment) may 
desire that someone be reminded of such an event, which I feel is a valid 
option to have - if I schedule a staff meeting on a regular schedule, far 
in advance, I might like to indicate that all employees be reminded of it 
on that day. However, as many have pointed out, the methods of notification 
should be part of the UI.  My proposal for simplification, then, is that 
each component have a simple, binary property, or a parameter of the 
component, which is a YES/NO value for 'remind the attendee/originator of 
this object'.  If that property is set to YES, then the UI is responsible 
for asking the UI owner how they want to be reminded about that object.

Comments?

Tim Hare
Interested Bystander, Non-Inc.

---

From: Doug at Royer.com (Doug Royer)
Date: Mon Sep 6 11:42:26 2004

CAP adds the LOCAL parameter (boolean) to indicate if a VALARM
is to be local to the CS. They exist so that a CU can add VALARMs
that only they see. These VALARMs are never transported to
other CUs (however they may be transported to other CUAs or CSs.)

If I have a local VALARM on my desktop, I DO want it transported
to my PDA. however not when I transport the appointment
to a 2nd or 3rd party.

So VALARM do need to be able to be transported across vendor
implementations.

[email-masked] wrote:

> The originator of a calendar object (meeting, to-do item, appointment) 
> may desire that someone be reminded of such an event, which I feel is 
> a valid option to have - if I schedule a staff meeting on a regular 
> schedule, far in advance, I might like to indicate that all employees 
> be reminded of it on that day. However, as many have pointed out, the 
> methods of notification should be part of the UI.  My proposal for 
> simplification, then, is that each component have a simple, binary 
> property, or a parameter of the component, which is a YES/NO value for 
> 'remind the attendee/originator of this object'.  If that property is 
> set to YES, then the UI is responsible for asking the UI owner how 
> they want to be reminded about that object.

-- 

Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
-------------------------------|-----------------------------
[email-masked]                 | Office: (208)520-4044
http://Royer.com/People/Doug   | Fax:    (866)594-8574
                               | Cell:   (208)520-4044

              We Do Standards - You Need Standards

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
Size: 4696 bytes
Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature
Url : http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/attachments/20040906/729c72a4/smime.bin