Subject: [Ietf-calsify] List issues so far.

From: reinhold at kainhofer.com (Reinhold Kainhofer)
Date: Fri Sep 17 10:33:54 2004

>        (1.1.1.1) 2445 - Make seconds (SS) optional?  Looks like no.

Most applications just ignore the seconds. So why should they be required if 
they are mostly ignored?

>        (1.1.2.1) 2445 - Do  away  with multiple BY rules?  I think we
>        are saying  want  to  do  this,  we  need  a  more  specific
>        proposal.

If that more specific proposal allows recurrences like "second tuesday in 
September"...
For the more involved example of the US presidential election day, I don't 
think the issue is how to represent this in a GUI. I doubt that such a rule 
would be entered by an ordinary user. But for centralized calendar 
repositories, where people can subscribe to calendars, iCalendar (or however 
it will be called) needs to be able to express such a complex recurrence, 
too.

>        (1.1.2.2) 2445 - Do we allow BYSETPOS?  I can only find one CUA
>        that allows this.  Deprecate it?

This is needed to allow, for example last work day of the month/year. 
Evolution currently supports this, so does Connect Daily, and I'm planning on 
adding it to korganizer.

>        (1.1.2.8) 2445  - ATTACH   I  do  not think we have proven that
>        this is a compatibility issue as a CUA can or can not use it
>        and it does not effect the data or flow of data.  Thin CUA's
>        can not use it anyway and ignore it.  Having  this  property
>        does  not break CUAs that do not use it.  How many use this?

KOrganizer, for example, lets you attach URIs to your events and todo items. 
They are shown in the event viewer / reminder dialog as links. 
KOrganizer also lets you attach a link to a mail message in kmail (by simply 
dragging the mail to the todo).

>        (1.1.2.9.2) 2445 - RELATED-TO  I think we are saying yes.

Yes. Related-to is the current way to implement hierarchical todo-lists, like 
KOrganizer does.

Just my 2 cents on this topic...

Cheers,
Reinhold

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reinhold Kainhofer, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
email: [email-masked], http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/
 * Financial and Actuarial Mathematics, TU Wien, http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/
 * KOrganizer / KPilot maintainer, K Desktop Environment, http://www.kde.org/
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/attachments/20040917/db3181b8/attachment.bin