Subject: [Ietf-calsify] VTIMEZONE - replacement idea

From: Doug at Royer.com (Doug Royer)
Date: Thu Sep 9 20:57:58 2004

I submitted draft-royer-calsch-xmltz-00.txt and it should
being showing up in a few days on the IETF announce list.

My idea is to deprecate the VTIMEZONE object in VCALENDAR objects
and only include the TZID.

Then allow applications to find IANA registered time zones
in XML format that describe the named time zone. They can
cache in local storage the TZID/revision and do the timezone
math much easier.

The XML format is a simplified and revision controlled time zone
definition. Instead of including RRULEs, it enumerates the exact
UTC date/time change and its offset in seconds. An application
would just need to find the TZID, scan for a matching time
range and add/subtract from UTC.

The draft has place holders for a URL specification for fetching
by TZID.

-- 

Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
-------------------------------|-----------------------------
[email-masked]                 | Office: (208)520-4044
http://Royer.com/People/Doug   | Fax:    (866)594-8574
                               | Cell:   (208)520-4044

              We Do Standards - You Need Standards

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
Size: 4696 bytes
Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature
Url : http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/attachments/20040909/64b0effa/smime.bin