Subject: [Fwd: Re: [Ietf-calsify] EXRULE and multiple RRULEs]

From: mark at ScheduleWorld.com (Mark Swanson)
Date: Fri Feb 11 11:55:43 2005

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> On Friday 11 February 2005 19:27, Doug Royer wrote:
> 
>>Currently 2445 allows for multiple RRULEs per component.
>>Can we agree that if RRULEs will remain, that they be limited to one?
> 
> 
> I don't think it's necessary to have multiple RRULES.
> Is there any application / library that supports multiple RRULES in one event 
> at all? libkcal (and thus all KDE applications that use iCalendar, like 

The ScheduleWorld iCalendar library does. If I remember right Frank
Dawson posted some examples of store hours specified with multiple
RRULEs (and more).

-- 
Free replacement for Exchange and Outlook (Contacts and Calendar)
http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/
WAP: http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/sw/WAPToday?id=4000&tz=EST
WebDAV: http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/sw/webDAVDir/4000.ics
VFREEBUSY: http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/sw/freebusy/4000.ifb

-- 
Free replacement for Exchange and Outlook (Contacts and Calendar)
http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/
WAP: http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/sw/WAPToday?id=4000&tz=EST
WebDAV: http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/sw/webDAVDir/4000.ics
VFREEBUSY: http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/sw/freebusy/4000.ifb

---

From: pregen at egenconsulting.com ([email-masked])
Date: Fri Feb 11 15:37:34 2005

Here's what Frank posted 8/18/1999 - wow that's a long time ago...... 8-)
=============================================

>This is Sam's bakery's opening times for the year 2000 and onward.
>
>Sam's bakery is open from 7 to 12 and 13 to 18, Monday through Thursday.
>(They close for lunch between 12 and 13)
>Sam's is open from 7 to 12 and 13 to 15.30  on Fridays
>Sam's is open from 9 to 13 on Saturdays
>Sam's is closed on Sundays
>Sam's does not open on Saturdays during the period of July 5 to August 5
>Sam shuts down on the following holidays;  Jan 1, Feb, 12 July 9, Oct 8, 
Dec
>24, 25 

FYI. I think you mean EXDATE, not EDATE in your original note. 
The easiest way to represent these store hours is to define separate 
VEVENTs and relate them using the RELATED-TO property. How about this 
using four events, one for the weekday morning store hours, a second for 
the weekday MO-TH afternoon store hours, a third for the weekday FR 
afternoon store hours and a fourth for the weekend store hours. 
Interesting, this is very much the same way that the store hours would be 
listed on the front door or on a website for the store! Actually, it is 
VERY important to keep the store hours as separate VEVENTS, as there will 
most probably be different store help for each. Your know the quirks of 
these unions ;-) In addition, if you copy the events on to the employee's 
work calendars you will want them as separate events. Bill won't want to 
see he is working the weekend when he has a hot date with Sally! There are 
probably other good reasons to have these as separate but linked/related 
events too. 
BEGIN:VCALENDAR
VERSION:2.0
METHOD:PUBLISH 
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTAMP:19990101T100000Z
UID:123
DTSTART;TZID=US/Eastern:19990104T070000
DTEND;TZID=US/Eastern:19990104T120000
SUMMARY:Sam's Bakery Weekday Morning Hours
RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;BYDAY=MO,TU,WE,TH,FR
EXDATE:19990101,19990212,19990709,19991008,19991224,19991225
RELATED-TO;RELTYPE=SIBLING:124
RELATED-TO;RELTYPE=SIBLING:125
RELATED-TO;RELTYPE=SIBLING:126
END:VEVENT 
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTAMP:19990101T100001Z
UID:124
DTSTART;TZID=US/Eastern:19990104T130000
DTEND;TZID=US/Eastern:19990104T180000
SUMMARY:Sam's Bakery MO-TH Afternoon Hours
RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;BYDAY=MO,TU,WE,TH
EXDATE:19990101,19990212,19990709,19991008,19991224,19991225
RELATED-TO;RELTYPE=SIBLING:123
RELATED-TO;RELTYPE=SIBLING:125
RELATED-TO;RELTYPE=SIBLING:126
END:VEVENT 
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTAMP:19990101T100001Z
UID:125
DTSTART;TZID=US/Eastern:19990101T130000
DTEND;TZID=US/Eastern:19990101T183000
SUMMARY:Sam's Bakery FR Afternoon Hours
RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;BYDAY=FR
EXDATE:19990101,19990212,19990709,19991008,19991224,19991225
RELATED-TO;RELTYPE=SIBLING:123
RELATED-TO;RELTYPE=SIBLING:125
RELATED-TO;RELTYPE=SIBLING:126
END:VEVENT 
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTAMP:19990101T100001Z
UID:126
DTSTART;TZID=US/Eastern:19990102T090000
DTEND;TZID=US/Eastern:19990102T130000
SUMMARY:Sam's Bakery Weekend Hours
DESCRIPTION:NOTE: We are closed SUNDAYS.\n   We will also
 be closed on Saturdays, from July 5 through August 5.\n
We hope you enjoy your summer holidays also! -- Sam's
RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;BYDAY=SA
EXDATE:19990101,19990212,19990709,19991008,19991224,19991225
EXDATE:19990710,19990717,19990724,19990731
RELATED-TO;RELTYPE=SIBLING:123
RELATED-TO;RELTYPE=SIBLING:124
RELATED-TO;RELTYPE=SIBLING:125
END:VEVENT 
END:VCALENDAR 
One thing this exercise does point out is that it would have been very 
useful to have a ";START=" RECUR value, rule component. This would have 
been useful in the EXRULE definition for the Saturday close dates. For 
example, with this enhancement: 
EXRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;BYDAY=SA;START=19990710;UNTIL=19990805 
Maybe Doug Royer could add this to his issues list? 
-- Frank  

Mark Swanson <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked]
02/11/2005 02:55 PM

To
[email-masked]
cc

Subject
[Fwd: Re: [Ietf-calsify] EXRULE and multiple RRULEs]

-- 
Free replacement for Exchange and Outlook (Contacts and Calendar)
http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/
WAP: http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/sw/WAPToday?id=4000&tz=EST
WebDAV: http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/sw/webDAVDir/4000.ics
VFREEBUSY: http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/sw/freebusy/4000.ifb
_______________________________________________
Ietf-calsify mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.osafoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-calsify