Subject: [Fwd: Re: [Ietf-calsify] Re: What's wrong with more radical simplification?]

From: mark at ScheduleWorld.com (Mark Swanson)
Date: Fri Feb 11 12:36:12 2005

> On Feb 11, 2005, at 18:16, Mark Swanson wrote:
> 
>> Well, ScheduleWorld 100% implements RRULEs. The GUI doesn't reflect 
>> this because then folks could create RRULEs that wouldn't interoperate 
>> with a few other products.
> 
> 
> Isn't that a contradiction? What good is an rrule if you can't display 
> it? Of course I believe you that you can parse the iCalendar structure 
> of the rrule, but what good is the data if the user can't view/edit it?

I didn't say the user couldn't view it. If any other product uses all of
the RRULE capabilities it will render properly in ScheduleWorld. The
event will be on the right day in the day/week/month/etc.. view.

> Unless I'm missing something, not reflecting the rrule in the GUI is 
> exactly the same like not supporting it. And reflecting _all_ the 
> specified rrules in iCalendar should be quite difficult (if not 
> impossible if you still want to have good usability ;-).

Again, iCalendar views and editing VEVENTs are different. At least when
I overlay someone else's calendar with mine I will be able to see when
they are busy - I don't even have to edit their VEVENT.

>> My current impression is that RRULEs are fairly well supported - even 
>> by lesser known products like phpICalendar.
> 
> 
> My impression is that a lot of clients use a similiar subset of the 
> specified rrules and that this subset works pretty well. But it might be 
> wrong.

I think this group is on the right track by accepting RRULEs but perhaps
limiting the recurring event concept to the useful already implemented
subset by most vendors.

-- 
Free replacement for Exchange and Outlook (Contacts and Calendar)
http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/
WAP: http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/sw/WAPToday?id=4000&tz=EST
WebDAV: http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/sw/webDAVDir/4000.ics
VFREEBUSY: http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/sw/freebusy/4000.ifb

-- 
Free replacement for Exchange and Outlook (Contacts and Calendar)
http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/
WAP: http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/sw/WAPToday?id=4000&tz=EST
WebDAV: http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/sw/webDAVDir/4000.ics
VFREEBUSY: http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/sw/freebusy/4000.ifb