Subject: [Ietf-calsify] Re: Google Speculation, but interesting

From: camerost at exchange.microsoft.com (Cameron Stillion)
Date: Sun Feb 27 19:04:28 2005

While I appreciate the semantic difference between these two application
verbs - most users are not quite that savvy. The result? Most of the ics
files published to apple.com (and icalshare.com) are NOT of the
Export... flavor - and that means most people are not including what is
needed for interop.  You must admit it is at least user unintuitive, and
at worst a little sloppy.

cameron

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Cyrus Daboo
Sent: Sunday.27.February.2005 06.37
To: Cameron Stillion; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Cc: Calsify; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ietf-calsify] Re: Google Speculation, but interesting

Hi Cameron,

--On February 26, 2005 11:18:05 PM -0800 Cameron Stillion
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> The behavior I have seen in the latest Apple iCal (the product) with 
> regard to timezones is that they are NOT defined in VTIMEZONE blocks, 
> but are named in VEVENTS.  The names seem to match the OSX naming 
> comventions for Time Zones, and notably do not match the Windows
names.
> Since they aren't formally defined, it's difficult to map them.  We 
> are forced to have an internal list of Apple names for the sole 
> purpose of interoping.  (grumble grumble)
>

Right - I just did a test and indeed if you create a new calendar and
add a single event with a timezone, it does not include the VTIMEZONE in
the ics file it creates in its own calendar store. However, if you
'Export' the calendar from the iCal.app, then it does include a
VTIMEZONE. The VTIMEZONE appears to be correct, but contains only the
minimum amount of information to cover the time for the event. Arguably
this is not a bug as it is free to do whatever it wants in its own
calendar store.

WRT naming of timezones on different OS's - hopefully with a
standardised timezone registry we can solve that issue and also remove
the need to always send the VTIMEZONE data by value (as opposed to by
reference to the registry entry).

--
Cyrus Daboo
_______________________________________________
Ietf-calsify mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.osafoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-calsify

---

From: daboo at isamet.com (Cyrus Daboo)
Date: Sun Feb 27 20:48:55 2005

Hi Cameron,

> at worst a little sloppy.

Sure - if they 'publish' invalid iCalendar data then that is a real interop 
problem. Hopefully someone has complained to them about it and they will 
fix it...

-- 
Cyrus Daboo