Subject: [Ietf-calsify] Re: What's wrong with more radical simplification?

From: camerost at exchange.microsoft.com (Cameron Stillion)
Date: Fri Feb 11 09:59:29 2005

Helge,

I'm in complete agreement with your statement below - and I think this
is the sweet spot where calsify can make magic.  Let's declare that
subset of RRULEs that seems to work and that people tend to implement as
"the standard" and THEN we can enjoy debating what to add to (or remove
from) that specification.

cameron

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Helge Hess
Sent: Friday.11.February.2005 09.36
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ietf-calsify] Re: What's wrong with more radical
simplification?

<snipped...>

My impression is that a lot of clients use a similiar subset of the
specified rrules and that this subset works pretty well. But it might be
wrong.

Also most of the newer clients are specifically build around iCalendar
which obviously improves on that too.
(eg comparing interoperability between Sunbird and Kontact should be
done, but isn't particulary interesting since both use some derivate of
iCalendar. One would need to compare interoperability between eg Outlook
and Sunbird or Notes and Kontact).

Greets,
   Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/
OpenGroupware.org

_______________________________________________
Ietf-calsify mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.osafoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-calsify

---

From: helge.hess at opengroupware.org (Helge Hess)
Date: Fri Feb 11 10:14:16 2005

> from) that specification.

Just let me restate why we initially thought that removing rrules might 
be a major simplification:
If we remove rrules this also should remove the necessity for 
timezones, so we could move to use UTC for all time based data which 
would be a HUGE gain (and reflect quite well what is done anyway by a 
lot of servers and clients).

For example Kontact support for rrules is actually broken due to 
timezones (really: no offense intended! :-) since it normalizes the 
iCal files to UTC in the storage. This in turn removes the information 
on the times the event creator planned the cycle (so its actually quite 
useless in a multi timezone setups).

IMHO its much worse to share incorrect information that to share a bit 
less information.

Before someone gets this wrong again ;-), I'm _not_ suggesting to 
remove rrules nor timezones. I'm suggesting to move them into 
(optional) extensions to the base draft. This should be quite possible 
while still providing upward and downward compatibility.

> and Sunbird or Notes and Kontact).

BTW: this was supposed to mean: they all use some derivate "libical", 
not iCalendar.

Greets,
   Helge