Subject: [Ietf-calsify] EXRULE and multiple RRULEs

From: Doug at Royer.com (Doug Royer)
Date: Fri Feb 11 10:27:27 2005

Skipped content of type multipart/mixed-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
Size: 4696 bytes
Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature
Url : http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/attachments/20050211/2611a9a1/smime.bin

---

From: reinhold at kainhofer.com (Reinhold Kainhofer)
Date: Fri Feb 11 10:46:28 2005

On Friday 11 February 2005 19:27, Doug Royer wrote:
> Currently 2445 allows for multiple RRULEs per component.
> Can we agree that if RRULEs will remain, that they be limited to one?

I don't think it's necessary to have multiple RRULES.
Is there any application / library that supports multiple RRULES in one event 
at all? libkcal (and thus all KDE applications that use iCalendar, like 
KOrganizer / Kontact, KArm, KAlarm, KPilot) at least doesn't support multiple 
rrules.

> Does anyone send EXRULE's ?

Please don't use the word "send", as this suggests we're only about sending 
invitations and PUBLISH. We're also talking about arbitrary data exchange.

I'm not aware of any application that uses EXRULE's, but that doesn't mean 
anything. At least libkcal doesn't support EXRULE at all, only EXDATE.

Reinhold
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reinhold Kainhofer, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
email: [email-masked], http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/
 * Financial and Actuarial Mathematics, TU Wien, http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/
 * K Desktop Environment, http://www.kde.org, KOrganizer / KPilot maintainer
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/attachments/20050211/3b71a5b1/attachment.bin

---

From: daboo at isamet.com (Cyrus Daboo)
Date: Fri Feb 11 10:59:20 2005

Hi Reinhold,

--On February 11, 2005 7:46:16 PM +0100 Reinhold Kainhofer 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Is there any application / library that supports multiple RRULES in one
> event  at all? libkcal (and thus all KDE applications that use iCalendar,
> like  KOrganizer / Kontact, KArm, KAlarm, KPilot) at least doesn't
> support multiple  rrules.
>
> Please don't use the word "send", as this suggests we're only about
> sending  invitations and PUBLISH. We're also talking about arbitrary data
> exchange.
>
> I'm not aware of any application that uses EXRULE's, but that doesn't
> mean  anything. At least libkcal doesn't support EXRULE at all, only
> EXDATE.

Lets make the distinction between 'accepting' a protocol element, 
'preserving' that protocol element and 'generating' it. My implementation 
will accept and preserve multiple RRULEs, EXRULEs, RDATEs and EXDATEs and 
produce the (hopefully) correct set of instances for display. However, it 
will only allow users to generate new recurrences with a single RRULE. 
RDATES/EXDATEs do get generated when instances get overridden. I suspect a 
lot of other implementations do the same.

Assuming everyone behaves in that way, then it is perfectly fine to 
deprecate EXRULEs and multiple RRULEs per component.

However, are we talking about multiple RRULEs per component, or multiple 
RRULEs per set of instances? If we limit it to per component, then what is 
to stop someone from creating a new 'overridden' instance that includes a 
second RRULE as a separate component (with the same UID etc)?

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Doug at Royer.com (Doug Royer)
Date: Fri Feb 11 11:07:00 2005

Url : http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/attachments/20050211/5b2604b7/smime-0001.bin

---

From: Doug at Royer.com (Doug Royer)
Date: Fri Feb 11 11:11:07 2005

[Some of my messages are having their content stripped out by the 
mailing list program - but only to some people - so this is a resend].

> RRULEs per set of instances? If we limit it to per component, then what 
> is to stop someone from creating a new 'overridden' instance that 
> includes a second RRULE as a separate component (with the same UID etc)?
> 

Do you mean a METHOD:ADD with an new RRULE?

-- 

Doug Royer                     | http://INET-Consulting.com
-------------------------------|-----------------------------

               We Do Standards - You Need Standards

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Doug.vcf
Type: text/x-vcard
Size: 293 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/attachments/20050211/01138767/Doug.vcf