Subject: [Ietf-calsify] Proposed Charter

From: camerost at exchange.microsoft.com (Cameron Stillion)
Date: Sun Apr 3 11:47:47 2005

This is an excellent proposal and a great report!  I only wish that I
could have been in attendance at the BOF.  This is a good practical
approach to take to actually make some headway - focusing on tightening
up the current practice and avoiding the "more radical approach" which
while well-intentioned, is and should be beyond the scope of calsify.
It's all about interoperability, and that's why extensions are so
important - both to identify, and to clarify the process surrounding
them.

I'd like to see a questionnaire on extension usage much like the one
sent out recently about recurrence rules (yes, I'm still double-checking
my answers with current code...)

Fairly simple, very practical, ultimately useful. In my mind, that
outscores a lot of standards bodies' work...

cameron

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Lisa
Dusseault
Sent: Monday.28.March.2005 17.56
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ietf-calsify] Proposed Charter

Based on the discussion at the Calsify BOF in Minneapolis, a bunch of us
(those who volunteered at the time) have worked on the draft WG charter
below.

Some notes:
  - The iCalendar revision work, although it  may be challenging work,
is at least well understood in terms of scope and deliverables.
  - The transition work which I attempted to characterize in a separate
email is not so well scoped out and it's not clear yet what specific
proposals might emerge, if any, so this charter would need to be revised
when the specific proposals become clear or do not appear after a
period.
  - The XML work which seemed to be supported in the BOF (but nobody
actually took consensus) was not supported in the group of people
working on this charter, so it appears as "out of scope".

-- Lisa 

----

Calendaring and Scheduling Standards Simplification (calsify)

Chair(s):
TBD

Applications Area Director(s):

Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Scott Hollenbeck <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion: [email-masked] To Subscribe: 
http://lists.osafoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-calsify
Archive: http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/

Description of Working Group:

The Calendaring and Scheduling standards, defined in RFC's 2445, 2446,
and
2447 were released in November 1998, and further described in RFC 3283.
They were designed to progress the level of interoperability between
dissimilar calendaring and scheduling systems. The Calendaring and
Scheduling Core Object Specification, iCalendar, succeeded in
establishing itself as the common format for exchanging calendaring
information across the Internet. On the other hand, only basic
interoperability as been achieved between different scheduling systems.

The Calsify working group is chartered to:

(1) Publish the interoperability issues that have arisen between
     calendaring and scheduling systems, as well as document the usage
of
     iCalendar by other specifications.

(2) Revise the Calendaring and Scheduling standards to advance the
     state of interoperable calendaring and scheduling by addressing
     the published interoperability issues. As far as it is possible,
the
     working group will ensure backwards compatibility with widely
deployed
     implementations and other specifications that use it.

(3) Clarify the registration process for iCalendar extensions (i.e.,
     the current core object specification only provides a template
     to register new properties).

(4) Advance the Calendaring and Scheduling standards to Draft Standard.

(5) Work on transition (upgrade or versioning) mechanisms for calendar
     data exchange.

Proposing an XML representation or transformation of iCalendar objects
is out of the scope of this working group.

Goals and Milestones:

TBD - Submit "Problems in Calendaring and Scheduling Standards".
TBD - Submit RFC2445bis.
TBD - Submit other revised documents.

_______________________________________________
Ietf-calsify mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.osafoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-calsify