Subject: [Ietf-calsify] rfc2445bis: section 2.3. International Considerations

From: alexey.melnikov at isode.com (Alexey Melnikov)
Date: Mon Oct 30 12:13:56 2006

>2.3.  International Considerations
 >
 >   In the rest of this document, descriptions of characters are of the
 >   form "character name (codepoint)", where "codepoint" is from the US-
 >   ASCII character set.  The "character name" is the authoritative
 >   description; (codepoint) is a reference to that character in US-ASCII
 >   or US-ASCII compatible sets (for example the ISO-8859-x family,
 >   UTF-8, ISO-2022-xx, KOI8-R).  If a non-US-ASCII compatible character
 >   set is used, appropriate code-point from that character set MUST be
 >   chosen instead.  Use of non-US-ASCII-compatible character sets is NOT
 >   recommended.

My suggestion is to drop discussion of US-ASCII compatible sets, 
considering that the updated specification would only allow for US-ASCII 
& UTF-8. The rest of the text should be moved to the section 2.

Suggested replacement text (to be moved to section 2):

 >   In the rest of this document, descriptions of characters are of the
 >   form "character name (codepoint)", where "codepoint" is from the US-
 >   ASCII character set.  The "character name" is the authoritative
 >   description; (codepoint) is a reference to that character in US-ASCII
 >   character set.

I also think that US-ASCII above can be replaced with "Unicode" here, 
but this is probably not needed.