Subject: [Ietf-calsify] What's the status of xCal?

From: reinhold at kainhofer.com (Reinhold Kainhofer)
Date: Fri Jan 12 02:28:44 2007

Hi,
I'm currently implementing an export function in KOrganizer that uses XSLT 
transformations to create easier output in several formats and even allows 
XSL-FO to be used for printing. For this, I need an intermediary XML format, 
and xCalendar comes in quite handy here. 

However, I could only find expired drafts on the net (with various different 
namespace URIs used, so I'm not sure which is the current one). So what's the 
status of xCal?
I found the draft
       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-royer-calsch-xcal-03
using "urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xcal", but not using the namespace prefix 
consistently, so most of the elements are NOT in that namespace :-(
(Older drafts use the namespace "http://ietf.org/rfc/rfcXXXX.txt", and they 
employ the xCal: prefix consistently).
I also found the older calsch-many, but that's obviously a deprecated draft.

Of course, once I have implemented several xsl stylesheets (maybe even to 
xsl-fo for printing/exporting a calendar to PDF in various layouts), these 
transformations won't be restricted to KOrganizer, but can be used with any 
xCalendar file produced by any application that is able to export to 
xCalendar (which are not many currently...).

So is there any decision on the XML representation of iCal? Or is this dead 
and I need to come up with my own XML and other applications won't be able to 
use my stylesheets, because we don't have a standardized XML representation, 
only self-cooked ones?

Thanks,
Reinhold

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reinhold Kainhofer, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
email: [email-masked], http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/
 * Financial and Actuarial Mathematics, TU Wien, http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/
 * K Desktop Environment, http://www.kde.org, KOrganizer maintainer
 * Chorvereinigung "Jung-Wien", http://www.jung-wien.at/

---

From: TimHare at comcast.net (Tim Hare)
Date: Fri Jan 12 15:15:29 2007

I haven't updated by draft lately on guidelines for using XML with calendar
information, but I still have the latest draft if you want it. It wasn't
xcalendar per se but had a lot of stuff from the original draft; also had
some stylesheet examples (which you probably don't need).  I also have in
final stages of development a stylesheet to take a string containing an
iCalendar file and transform it into XML. 

Tim Hare
Interested Bystander, Non-Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Reinhold
Kainhofer
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 5:28 AM
To: CALSIFY Mailinglist
Subject: [Ietf-calsify] What's the status of xCal?

Hi,

However, I could only find expired drafts on the net (with various different
namespace URIs used, so I'm not sure which is the current one). So what's
the status of xCal?
I found the draft
       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-royer-calsch-xcal-03
using "urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xcal", but not using the namespace prefix
consistently, so most of the elements are NOT in that namespace :-( (Older
drafts use the namespace "http://ietf.org/rfc/rfcXXXX.txt", and they employ
the xCal: prefix consistently).
I also found the older calsch-many, but that's obviously a deprecated draft.

So is there any decision on the XML representation of iCal? Or is this dead
and I need to come up with my own XML and other applications won't be able
to use my stylesheets, because we don't have a standardized XML
representation, only self-cooked ones?

Thanks,
Reinhold

--
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reinhold Kainhofer, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
email: [email-masked], http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/
 * Financial and Actuarial Mathematics, TU Wien,
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/
 * K Desktop Environment, http://www.kde.org, KOrganizer maintainer
 * Chorvereinigung "Jung-Wien", http://www.jung-wien.at/
_______________________________________________
Ietf-calsify mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.osafoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-calsify

---

From: cmtalbert at gmail.com (Clint Talbert)
Date: Mon Jan 15 08:00:27 2007

Hi Tim,

I would also be interested in this draft and the stylesheet to transform 
iCalendar to XML.

Thanks,

Clint Talbert