Subject: [Ietf-calsify] What's the status of xCal?

From: reinhold at kainhofer.com (Reinhold Kainhofer)
Date: Mon Jan 15 08:32:27 2007

Am Samstag, 13. Januar 2007 schrieb Tim Hare:
> I haven't updated by draft lately on guidelines for using XML with calendar
> information, but I still have the latest draft if you want it. 

Yes, that would be great!

> It wasn't 
> xcalendar per se but had a lot of stuff from the original draft; also had
> some stylesheet examples (which you probably don't need).  

To the contrary, if you have some useful stylesheets already, this means that 
KOraganizer can already produce that output as soon as I'm finished with the 
general xCal  and subsequent XSL transformation...

BTW, does anyone know about the status for RDFCalendar? Was this ever turned 
into a standard? Do we have any standardized XML format for calendars? Or are 
all of them just drafts?

Thanks,
Reinhold

- -- 
- ------------------------------------------------------------------
Reinhold Kainhofer, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
email: [email-masked], http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/
 * Financial and Actuarial Mathematics, TU Wien, http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/
 * K Desktop Environment, http://www.kde.org, KOrganizer maintainer
 * Chorvereinigung "Jung-Wien", http://www.jung-wien.at/

---

From: TimHare at comcast.net (Tim Hare)
Date: Mon Jan 15 18:49:02 2007

I've attached the first public version of ICAL2XML.xsl, and XSLT stylesheet
which will take an iCalendar file wrapped in simple XML and produce an
"xCalendar" file.  The iCalendar needs to be wrapped with <?xml >
<ical_input space="preserve"> and of course </ical_input> - in other words
the minimum to make a one-node XML document with the node contents being the
entire iCalendar file.

This produces <iCalendar-stream> as the top-level node to allow for multiple
BEGIN:VCALENDAR/END:VCALENDAR pairs in the input file. I don't believe the
current RFC really allows for that, but I've seen some discussion of
iCalendar-stream on this list so included the possibility. Note that the
transform does NOT take notice of what kind of iCalendar component or
property is being processed. I think in theoretic terms you would say it
handles only the syntactic and not the semantic content of the items? In any
case, dealing with the resulting XML is left for other processes, my purpose
was to go from iCalendar to XML and this I believe does it.

You may use this file if you wish, I'd like attribution in the comments.
Opinions on design choices, better ways to do things, etcetera are welcomed
(unless they're of the "Tim you stupid idiot" variety of course, I can make
those up on my own :-) ).  

This may contain some things which worked, but could be done more elegantly
- I am not an XSLT person in my "day job" so I have hacked around until I
found something which worked, and then left it that way.  

This transform works using Jim Clark's XT; I am getting some odd error
messages in Internet Explorer if I try to open the XML file directly with an
<?xml-stylesheet> processing instruction contained in the file - still
trying to track that down. Firefox opens it, but doesn't output XML, rather
it outputs the text of all of the nodes. Probably something dumb that I did
- but maybe the collective intelligence of the folks on the list will spot
it.

In any event - I hope this is useful. Sure was fun figuring it out.

Tim Hare
Interested Bystander, Non-Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Reinhold Kainhofer [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2007 11:31 AM
To: Tim Hare
Cc: 'CALSIFY Mailinglist'
Subject: Re: [Ietf-calsify] What's the status of xCal?

Am Samstag, 13. Januar 2007 schrieb Tim Hare:
> I haven't updated by draft lately on guidelines for using XML with 
> calendar information, but I still have the latest draft if you want it.

> It wasn't
> xcalendar per se but had a lot of stuff from the original draft; also 
> had some stylesheet examples (which you probably don't need).

To the contrary, if you have some useful stylesheets already, this means
that KOraganizer can already produce that output as soon as I'm finished
with the general xCal  and subsequent XSL transformation...

BTW, does anyone know about the status for RDFCalendar? Was this ever turned
into a standard? Do we have any standardized XML format for calendars? Or
are all of them just drafts?

Thanks,
Reinhold

- --
- ------------------------------------------------------------------
Reinhold Kainhofer, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
email: [email-masked], http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/
 * Financial and Actuarial Mathematics, TU Wien,
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/
 * K Desktop Environment, http://www.kde.org, KOrganizer maintainer
 * Chorvereinigung "Jung-Wien", http://www.jung-wien.at/ -----BEGIN PGP
SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFFq6xSTqjEwhXvPN0RAvWEAJ4qjzsUoBpB0EjCrGD8dgW70Z459wCgu5X7
ikOoOE1RgDdowpNEnwky8Ow=
=PREj
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: ICAL2XML.xsl
Type: text/xml
Size: 12762 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/attachments/20070115/16d01e99/ICAL2XML.bin

---

From: TimHare at comcast.net (Tim Hare)
Date: Tue Jan 16 05:28:06 2007

I meant to say that Firefox opens it and produces a result document. Which
it does - and since that post my brain kicked in (this is one of those "Tim
you stupid idiot" moments I mentioned) and I realized that Firefox may be
providing default behavior for an XML document (the result document) which
contains no stylesheet. I'll have to look into that further.

Tim Hare

> This transform works using Jim Clark's XT; I am getting some odd error
messages in Internet Explorer if I try to open the XML file
> directly with an <?xml-stylesheet> processing instruction contained in the
file - still trying to track that down. 
> Firefox opens it, but doesn't output XML, rather it outputs the text of
all of the nodes. Probably something dumb that I did
it.