Subject: [Ietf-calsify] More references to 2446?

From: cyrus at daboo.name (Cyrus Daboo)
Date: Wed Feb 28 07:47:27 2007

Hi,
One of the things that implementers often get wrong is the fact that an 
ORGANIZER of an event is not implicitly considered a participant (ATTENDEE) 
of that event. That behavior is described in section 2.1.3 of 2446 (which 
is actually titled "Acting on Behalf of other Calendar Users" which does 
not really convey the fact that this important statement about roles is 
being made there - something to fix). 2445bis does make passing reference 
to the fact that some roles are defined in 2446, but I would like to see 
some more explicit statements to that effect in actual property definitions.

Proposals:

1) Add the following text somewhere in the description of the ORGANIZER 
property:

The exact behavior and interpretation of the ORGANIZER property and its 
related parameters is defined in iTIP [2446bis]. In particular note that 
the organizer is not implicitly considered a participant in an event or to 
do, and therefore an explicit ATTENDEE property may need to be added for 
the organizer.

2) Same thing for the ATTENDEE property:

The exact behavior and interpretation of the ATTENDEE property and its 
related parameters is defined in iTIP [2446bis]. In particular note that 
the organizer is not implicitly considered a participant in an event or to 
do, and therefore an explicit ATTENDEE property may need to be added for 
the organizer.

I believe these are just editorial changes.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo