Subject: [Ietf-calsify] 2445bis Abstract

From: cyrus at daboo.name (Cyrus Daboo)
Date: Mon Mar 26 09:07:13 2007

Hi,
I really don't like the current abstract - in particular its use of "MIME 
media type". The current abstract is:

>    This document defines a MIME media type for representing and
>    exchanging calendaring and scheduling information such as events, to-
>    dos, journal entries and free/busy information.  The definition of
>    the text/calendar media type, known as iCalendar, is independent of
>    any particular calendar service or protocol.

MIME RFC2045 states this:

> 5.  Content-Type Header Field
>
>    The purpose of the Content-Type field is to describe the data
>    contained in the body fully enough that the receiving user agent can
>    pick an appropriate agent or mechanism to present the data to the
>    user, or otherwise deal with the data in an appropriate manner. The
>    value in this field is called a media type.

i.e. the term "media type" refers to the value of a Content-Type header, 
not to the actual data that uses that content type. 2445 is primarily 
defining the data format not the MIME type/subtype value (even though it 
does define text/calendar).

I would prefer something like the following:

   This document defines the iCalendar data format for representing and
   exchanging calendaring and scheduling information such as events, to-
   dos, journal entries and free/busy information, independent of any
   particular calendar service or protocol.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo