Subject: [calsify] New Internet-Draft: jCard: The JSON format for vCard

From: Philipp Kewisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 21:52:04 +0100

Hello apps-discuss,

as you might know, the calconnect group has been working on a draft for 
a JSON based data format for iCalendar, which you can find here [1]. 
This draft comes with a fully functional javascript parser/converter 
that you can find at [2]. The library can also process recurrence data 
and timezone conversion and is being used in the latest version of 
Firefox OS and is also targeted at the Lightning extension to Thunderbird.

The data format we chose has gone through various iterations. Although 
it may not be the common object-as-root type JSON, I think its suited 
best for its task: bidirectional, semantically lossless conversion 
between iCalendar and JSON. It has been discussed on the vcarddav and 
calsify lists.

Consequently, I have created a draft for vCard in JSON using a similar 
notation [3]. There are of course some slight differences between vCard 
and iCalendar causing some open issues ready for discussion in a WG. You 
can find them at the end of the draft, any input is appreciated. For 
additional reading, check out some related discussion on the calsify [4] 
and vcarddav [5] lists. I have not yet adapted my ical.js parser to also 
read data as in this draft, but the changes are so minimal that it 
should not be a big deal.

I'll be happy to take part in any WG calls or discussion related to 
moving vCard in JSON forward, so let me know what you think.

Philipp

[1] http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-kewisch-et-al-icalendar-in-json-01.txt
[2] https://github.com/kewisch/ical.js/
[3] http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-kewisch-vcard-in-json-00.txt
[4] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/calsify/current/maillist.html
[5] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vcarddav/current/maillist.html

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for draft-kewisch-vcard-in-json-00.txt
Date: 	Wed, 13 Feb 2013 12:03:24 -0800
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-kewisch-vcard-in-json-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Philipp Kewisch and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-kewisch-vcard-in-json
Revision:	 00
Title:		 jCard: The JSON format for vCard
Creation date:	 2013-02-13
Group:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 25
URL:             http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kewisch-vcard-in-json-00.txt
Status:          http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kewisch-vcard-in-json
Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kewisch-vcard-in-json-00

Abstract:
    This specification defines "jCard", a JSON format for vCard data.

The IETF Secretariat