Subject: [calsify] Spencer Dawkins' No Objection on charter-ietf-calext-00-02: (with COMMENT)

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 15:02:57 -0700

Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-calext-00-02: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-calext/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This all looks fine. One question for my benefit.

"- Define a set of new iCalendar properties and parameters to
standardise
some existing experimental X- properties in common use, based on a
survey of existing implementations."

I wasn't quite sure whether this meant standardizing an "X-Foo"
experimental property, or standardizing a renamed "Foo:". It's unlikely
that needs to be stated in a charter, either way, but just in case it
does ... if the deliverable was "standardise some existing experimental
properties", I wouldn't have thought to ask, but given the existence of
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6648, I wondered.

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:31:27 -0400

Hi Spencer,

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6648, I wondered.

My personal goal is to try and get rid of X- usage as per RFC6648 and 
encourage use of properly registered names, and that is what the current 
draft I wrote tries to do (replace various X- items with non X- registered 
equivalents).

The original iCalendar spec, RFC 2445, did not have a formal registration 
process for names and many of the existing X- items we want to deal with 
here are from that era. When we updated iCalendar via RFC5545 we added IANA 
registries and a fairly lightweight process for new properties that do not 
impact any standards track behaviors. So the hope is that all new names 
will be registered and avoid the X- prefix.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 17:43:04 -0500

On Tuesday, August 19, 2014, Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Spencer,
>
> --On August 18, 2014 at 3:02:57 PM -0700 Spencer Dawkins <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>

Thanks!

Spencer