Subject: Re: [calsify] Alissa Cooper's Yes on charter-ietf-calext-00-00: (with COMMENT)

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 13:33:48 -0400

Hi Alissa,

--On August 6, 2014 at 10:15:54 AM -0700 Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> "Define a set of new iCalendar properties and parameters to standardise
> some existing experimental X- properties. This will include a new set of
> "top-level" properties for the "CALENDAR" component, as well as an new
> "IMAGE" property to allow users more control of the visual appearance of
> events and tasks within their calendars."
>
> Are there specific X- properties the group intends to standardize besides
> the IMAGE property (assuming "IMAGE" is an example of such a property,
> which I'm not sure about)? The use of "some" in the first sentence makes
> it sound like there is some expected subset of existing properties that
> will be in scope, but they're not listed.
>

A set of properties have already been identified in 
draft-daboo-icalendar-extensions as initial input to this WG. Some of those 
in that draft come from the Wikipedia list 
(<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICalendar#Calendar_extensions>), others 
(like IMAGE and CONFERENCE) are entirely new.

It may be better to rephrase the above point in the charter to two separate 
ones, one covering standardizing X- properties, and one for completely new 
properties:

    - Define a set of new iCalendar properties and parameters to standardise
    some existing experimental X- properties in common use, based on a
    survey of existing implementations.

    - Define a set of new iCalendar properties and parameters to cover key
    uses cases that implementers have identified, including, but not
    limited to, a new "IMAGE" property (to allow embedding/linking of
    images tied to a specific event), and a "CONFERENCE" property (to allow
    embedding information about dial-in numbers and similar multi-party
    communication options for an event).

-- 
Cyrus Daboo