Subject: [calsify] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC5545 (4150)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 19:36:38 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5545,
"Internet Calendaring and Scheduling Core Object Specification (iCalendar)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5545&eid=4150

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Peter Bachman <[email-masked]>

Section: 10.2

Original Text
-------------
[TZDB]                 Eggert, P. and A.D. Olson, "Sources for Time
                          Zone and Daylight Saving Time Data",
                          July 2009,
                          <http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm>.

Corrected Text
--------------
[TZDB]       Eggert, P. and A. Olson, "Sources for Time Zone and
                Daylight Saving Time Data", 1987,
                <ftp://ftp.iana.org/tz/code/tz-link.htm>.

              Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)
              "Time Zone Database"
                <http://www.iana.org/time-zones>.

Notes
-----
The twinsun.com version is no longer maintained by the volunteer(s) [email-masked]. The document and the tz database, have been adopted by members of IETF and iana.org. The database itself is public domain. 

The corrected text matches that of rfc6557 11.1.  Normative References [TZDB]

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6557
http://www.iana.org/time-zones/repository/tz-link.html
http://www.iana.org/time-zones

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5545 (draft-ietf-calsify-rfc2445bis-10)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Internet Calendaring and Scheduling Core Object Specification (iCalendar)
Publication Date    : September 2009
Author(s)           : B. Desruisseaux, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Calendaring and Scheduling Standards Simplification
Area                : Applications
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 20:09:25 -0800

Hi,

I believe that at the time of release, the link was correct, and so this
is not strictly an erratum.  That having been said, I don't think it
hurts to list the corrected link as an erratum even though strictly
speaking it is not necessary for correct implementation.

Eliot

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 08:08:44 -0500

> speaking it is not necessary for correct implementation.

Exactly my thought.  I'm inclined to mark this one "Verified", though
it actually meets the "Rejected" criteria.  Comments from the RFC
Editor are welcome, before I do.

This is always one of the problems with putting URLs in RFCs, but
sometimes we have to do it.  I often wonder whether it would make
sense to have the actual URLs in metadata, so they can be updated when
it's necessary.

Barry

---

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 12:58:04 -0800

Hi Barry and Eliot,

As noted, the IANA URL was not valid at the time the document was
published, so we don't consider this an erratum.  The RFC Editor team
discussed this issue -- we would prefer not to see the errata system
cluttered in this way (i.e., updating obsolete URLs in references),
and recommend that it be rejected with an appropriate note about why
the entry has been rejected (perhaps mention RFC 6557?). 

Please let us know if you would like to discuss this issue further or
if you have any questions.

Thank you,
RFC Editor/sg

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 16:09:04 -0500

Ok, Sandy, and thanks for the input.  I will reject it with an
explanation... and maybe the IESG can discuss with you and Heather on
Sunday morning about possible ways to handle these situations.

Barry