Subject: [calsify] Protocol Action: 'Non-Gregorian Recurrence Rules in iCalendar' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-calext-rscale-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 12:03:24 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Non-Gregorian Recurrence Rules in iCalendar'
  (draft-ietf-calext-rscale-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Calendaring Extensions Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-calext-rscale/

Technical Summary

   This document defines how non-Gregorian recurrence rules can be
   specified, for example Chinese New Year, in iCalendar data and with
   CalDAV servers primarily by extending the RRULE property. It is a
   Proposed Standard and extends RFCs 5545 (iCalendar), 6321 (xCal),
   and 7265 (jCal).

Review and Consensus

   The document was augmented and improved based on the discussion on
   the calsify mailing list, which the WG uses, of WG Last Call and
   the Shepherd review comments. Augmentations that were made to
   include extensions to xCal and jCal to handle the extended RRULE
   property. A moderate number of knowledgeable people chimed in and
   the document Shepherd believe review has been more than adequate.

   There was significant discussion about how the SKIP property should
   work, as different calendars and even different situations for the same
   calendar would demand different ways of skipping invalid dates/times
   and settling them onto valid ones.  The result in the document represents
   consensus on the least problematic way of dealing with this.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Donald Eastlake
   Area Director: Barry Leiba

RFC Editor Note

We changed the "updates" list late in the review process.  Please make
the following change in Section 1:

OLD
   This specification makes the following updates:

      It updates iCalendar [RFC5545], xCal [RFC6321], and jCal
      [RFC7265], to extend the "RRULE" property definition.

      It updates iTIP [RFC5546] to specify how the extended "RRULE"
      property should be handled in iTIP messages.

      It updates CalDAV [RFC4791] to specify how the extended "RRULE"
      property can be supported by CalDAV servers and clients.

NEW
   This specification makes the following updates:

     It updates iCalendar [RFC5545], xCal [RFC6321], and jCal
     [RFC7265], to extend the "RRULE" property definition.

     It clarifies use of iTIP [RFC5546] to specify how the extended "RRULE"
     property should be handled in iTIP messages.

     It extends CalDAV [RFC4791] to specify how the extended "RRULE"
     property can be supported by CalDAV servers and clients.

END