Subject: [calsify] Question about DESCRIPTION ALTREP

From: "Tim Hare" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 14:57:22 -0500

In the RFC section on the ALTREP property for the DESCRIPTION component I
see an example of using ALTREP to provide HTML in a description (for our
internal application, because we use Outlook for calendaring, we have been
using Microsoft's X-ALT-DESC, but I'd like to use the new ALTREP).  What's
not clear from the example below, is whether the content part beginning with
Content-Type:  is positioned in the data within the DESCRIPTION component,
or should be positioned _after_  the END:VCALENDAR statement (since the
BEGIN:VCALENDAR / END:VCALENDAR pair is assumed to be Content-Type:
text/calendar.  I guess that's really two questions:  
 
1.  in an .ics file, where does the ALTREP go if you are using content
identifier - in the DESCRIPTION or after the END:VCALENDAR?
2.  Can there be a Content-Type: text/Calendar and Content-Id:  in the .ics
file before the BEGIN:VCALENDAR
 
For myself, the questions specifically relate to the use case where we
create an .ics file that others may subscribe to;  other use cases such as
mailing a calendar might have other answers.

Thanks
Tim Hare
Interested Bystander, Non-Inc.

>   Example:

>       DESCRIPTION;ALTREP="CID:[email-masked]":

>        Project XYZ Review Meeting will include the following agenda

>         items: (a) Market Overview\, (b) Finances\, (c) Project Man

>         agement

>      The "ALTREP" property parameter value might point to a "text/html"

>      content portion.

>       Content-Type:text/html

>       Content-Id:<[email-masked]>

>       <html>

>         <head>

>          <title></title>

>         </head>

>         <body>

>           <p>

>             <b>Project XYZ Review Meeting</b> will include

>             the following agenda items:

>             <ol>

>               <li>Market Overview</li>

>               <li>Finances</li>

>               <li>Project Management</li>

>             </ol>

>           </p>

>         </body>

>       </html>