Subject: Re: [Cellar] Colour Format proposal

From: Reto Kromer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 20:27:04 +0100

Peter B. wrote:

>I wouldn't want to rule out the option of transcoding from
>DPX to FFV1/MKV.
>But on the other hand, I'm very much in favor of keeping
>things simple - and not overdoing it.
>
>I think being able to handle non-linear color values (as
>often found in DPX scans) is important, but I wouldn't go
>as far as putting something like "printing density" into
>the standard.

Hmm... To include this possibility would be very interesting
to me. To have only one format for the "archival masters" is
a very nice idea indeed.

Today we store our Y'CbCr 4:2:2 10-bit "masters" as FFV1 and
XYZ or RGB 4:4:4 16-bit floating-point "masters" as OpenEXR.

Best regards, Reto

AV Preservation by reto.ch
chemin du Suchet 5 | 1024 Ecublens | Switzerland
Web: http://reto.ch | Twitter: @retoch