Subject: Re: [Cellar] can Mandatory Elements be Empty Elements?

From: Steve Lhomme <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 18:03:34 +0200

I agree. It's good that we can often track issues to a specific
program/version. But we cannot rely on it. It's informational and
should not be mandatory. Those making programs and proud of their work
will fill these values. The ones who want to hide and not be blamed
won't be.

Also making the change won't affect existing files.

2016-05-24 15:39 GMT+02:00 Luca Barbato <[email-masked]>:
> On 24/05/16 15:16, Dave Rice wrote:
>> Removing this requirement would reduce a tiny amount of space but
>> cause a lot of confusion. Compared to other audiovisual containers,
>> I'm glad that almost all Matroska files can be traced back to the
>> tools used to create them. Also nearly every Matroska file follows
>> the requirement and uses MuxingApp and WritingApp. Some Handbrake
>> files do not follow the rule though.
>
> The information is not trustworthy anyway.
>
> If a file is readable w/out certain information it should stay optional
> IMHO.
>
> Usual warning:
>
> "Relying on certain strings to enable quirk-modes is a recipe for a
> disaster, please do not do that. If you want to support a quirk make so
> you detect the quirk and fallback when possible"
>
> lu
>
> _______________________________________________
> Cellar mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cellar

-- 
Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman