Subject: [Cellar] FLAC

From: Michael Niedermayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 15:33:28 +0200

Hi all

about FLAC, as FLAC was mentioned in the meeting and there was not
really much discussion about FLAC

This is not exactly on topic for the question about standarizing
existing flac, and also i have no contacts to the flac community
AFAIK but

I would be interrested in working on compression/algorithmic
improvments on FLAC or in designing a new higher compression rate
lossless audio codec, if CELLAR would be interrested in going that
direction ...
Ive no idea if there would be interrest in that or not
I can also probably help with awnsering questions about flac as i know
how flac works and ive worked on both the flac encoder and decoder we
have in FFmpeg.

Thanks

-- 
Michael     GnuPG fingerprint: 9FF2128B147EF6730BADF133611EC787040B0FAB

No human being will ever know the Truth, for even if they happen to say it
by chance, they would not even known they had done so. -- Xenophanes

---

From: "Timothy B. Terriberry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 07:29:22 -0700

> lossless audio codec, if CELLAR would be interrested in going that

To do that we would need to recharter the working group, as our current 
charter is expressly to develop a formal specification for the existing 
FLAC format to allow it to be used in archival contexts where this is 
required.

That is something we could try to do if people wanted to (working groups 
get rechartered all the time). I am just pointing out that it's out of 
scope of our current charter.

---

From: Pierre-Yves Thoulon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 07:39:14 +0200

Maybe we should serialize ?  First work on the current charter as a basis
to any future work, then open the discussion for improvement of the
standard.

Pyt.

> Le 19 juil. 2016 à 16:29, Timothy B. Terriberry <[email-masked]> a
>
> _______________________________________________
> Cellar mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cellar

---

From: Michael Niedermayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 20:48:03 +0200

> to any future work, then open the discussion for improvement of the

sounds like a good idea to me

[...]

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities
are wrong. -- Voltaire