Subject: [Cellar] Update on RGB 16-bit support in FFV1

From: Reto Kromer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 15:35:56 +0200

Dear list:

It is always embarrassing to talk about oneself! As some of
you know, on Friday I did the presentation "Using Матрёшка
and FFV1 for DPX Preservation" at the "The Reel Thing": 

  http://www.the-reel-thing.co/program-abstracts-4/

I am planning to make the presentation available next week.

For the #tls (Terminal Live Show), directly inspired by
Kieran O'Leary, I used an excerpt of a 2K digitisation form
a film shot in Dufaycolor, because this colour system is
very hard to compress. Michael Niedermayer has been so kind
to implement bgrp16 and rgb48 support in FFV1 in time for
the presentation. Therefore I could do it in 16-bit DPX. I
used a short image sequence, not only a single frame as done
in Berlin last month:

  https://reto.ch/Dufay.mp4

I was really surprised about the interest by industry's
representatives and influential individuals from both the
Greater Los Angeles Area and the San Francisco Bay Area. I
already had many promising discussions during the breaks and
I scheduled some additional meetings for more in-depth
discussions about Cellar's solution. The proof of concept
has been done: we are moving FF!

Best regards, Reto

---

From: Kieran O Leary <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 16:44:47 +0100

Hello Reto,

> I am planning to make the presentation available next week.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

> Michael Niedermayer has been so kind

That is such a fantastic test clip! I'd like to reiterate my thanks to
both Michael and yourself with regards to 16-bit support.

> has been done: we are moving FF!

This is absolutely wonderful to hear. Congratulations on doing
important advocacy work for the use of FFV1 for film scans.

Best,

Kieran.